Thursday, 25 February 2010

Mushroom Ragout with sun-dried tomato polenta

May I present to you a plate of Mushroom Ragout with polenta.
The polenta is studded with sun dried tomato, shallots and garlic appealing immediately to the eye. The mushroom ragout sauce looks a bit thin in the photo but it was quite a deep and flavourful sauce to be mopped up by the polenta pieces that were soft on the outside and slightly crisp on the outside. My only qualm, in place of the chestnuts and Scottish button mushrooms, the ragout should have been made with fresh wild woodland mushrooms. It would have brought the dish up that one notch. Still it was delicious and filled the belly of two hungry souls, plus we have enough left over for another meal. Yay, no cooking tomorrow!
Mushroom Ragout with sun-dried tomato polentaServes 4
For the Sun dried tomato polentaIngredients
2 shallots, peeled and finely sliced
1 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for oiling the tin is not non-stick
2 litres of water
2 tablespoons minced sun dried tomatoes
500g quick cook polentaMethod
Gently cook the shallots, garlic and rosemary in the oil until soft. Add the stock and sun dried tomatoes and bring to the boil. Slowly in a continuous stream, pour in the polenta, stirring continuously. Cook gently for1 minutes, then pour into a non-stick pan and allow to cool. When ready to serve, turn out the polenta and cut into required shapes: triangles, rounds of fat chips style. Place the polenta on a lightly oiled baking sheet and roast in the hot oven for about 10 minutes.
For the Mushroom RagoutIngredients
2 tablespoon olive oil
500g mixed wild mushrooms or chestnut mushrooms
50g dried shiitake, porcini and chanterelle mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 sprig of rosemary
100ml red wine
2 tablespoons tomato puree
Salt and pepper to taste
Flat leaf parsley to garnish
Method
Wipe the mushrooms of any soil and if they are large cut them in half. Drain the shiitake mushrooms and save the soaking water, except for the grit at the bottom. Slice the shiitake mushrooms finely. Heat the oil in a fairly wide pan, add the onions and all of the mushrooms and stir well. Lower the heat and gently stir until the mushrooms begin to give up their juices then add the garlic and herbs. Stir in the wine, reserved soaking liquid and tomato puree and cook gently for about 10 minutes. Raise the heat and reduce the liquid until it is thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide the mixture between 4 plates. Top polenta triangles with a scattering of flat leaf parsley and serve. Adapted from Daphne Lambert Little Red Gooseberries

16 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic, thanks for the idea/recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, you may present me with such a plate at any time - nice idea putting the sun dried tomatoes in the polenta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Rose.


    Aww Choclette, I wish I really could :D
    The sun dried toms in the polenta are really good, I think black olives would be too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That mushroom ragout looks fab! Stand aside and let this mushroom addict through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really good. I've not had polenta in ages - I must get some at the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That polenta looks soooo delicious! I wish I liked mushroom more.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Now I know what to do the next time a bunch of hopeful mushrooms show up on my doorstep in my organic veggie box. Poor things got put in a pasta sauce last time. They should have been the stars of their own show like in this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uhhh nice! To remember now that I a going to winter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mushrooms, and this is a new one for me, so I may just try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your so welcome Jacqueline.

    Thank you Mark. I hope you enjoy making it this way.


    Rose,
    I'm not a big fan of mushrooms either, but I'd recommend trying woodland/wild mushrooms completely different in flavour and texture.



    Thanks Nicole,
    Funny that you tend to put your mushrooms in pasta, i tend to make risotto with them.


    Thats so interesting Alessandra.
    We are beginning to see the first sign of spring ...snowdrops...here and there.


    Thanks Jo.
    I do hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks absolutely beautiful! I've never managed to make anything so tasty with polenta, but the sundried tomatoes and the mushrooms together - ah, dinner bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much Lysy.

    I really do love the look of the soup you've submitted this month to NCR. It looks really deep and flavourful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty polenta presentation! And that mushroom dish just makes me want to light a fire and stay in for the weekend. One of my favorite meals when my family leaves is something similar, except it's over a loose polenta (and has lots of parmesan in it, so not vegan) with the mushrooms reduced in a madiera sauce...goodness I am hungry now! It might be my favorite but yours looks much more inviting :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you El. Your dish sounds good too. I have to admit I am not a big fan of loose polenta though.

    I'd like to sit round a real fire too, esp on a cold wintery evening like today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. yum yum yum in my tum tum tum, gotta try this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You