Tuesday, 23 February 2010

An ordinary vegetarian pasta recipe

I’ve seen numerous pasta dishes made with lentils, but I don’t ever recall eating one myself. So this evening for ease and simplicity, I decided to cook a recipe in one of my cookbooks that I've had bookmarked for a long while.

The other reason I decided on making this recipe was its use of fresh ginger. Today D is feeling a little under the weather and my throat is also a little croaky, so the idea of fresh ginger sounded both medicinal and comforting. One other thing, the original recipe is made with butter, but because I didn’t want to aggravate my sore throat further, I made this with olive oil. The final dish doesn't look that interesting, but you know what they say 'looks can be deceptive'. The lentil sauce was tasty and I really liked the fresh bite of the ginger. It may be an ordinary pasta dish, but it’s a good recipe to keep in mind when your low on fresh produce or want to make something quick with store cupboard ingredients. It sure does fill you up and I feel much better having eaten it.
Pasta with Brown lentils and ginger
Serves 2 – 3
Enough pasta for 2 - 3 people such as fusilli or penne
4 tablespoons olive oil
2- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 2 inch piece of ginger, sliced into thin strips
½ teaspoon crumbled dried sage
165g or ¾ cup brown lentils, washed and rinsed
400ml or 2 cups water or vegetable stock
100g or 2 cups of fresh spinach
Salt and pepper to taste
Cook pasta according to instructions, drain and set aside.
In a large pan , heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and ginger and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly. Then add the sage, the lentils and all of the water. Bring to a boil, cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Let the lentils simmer for 10-15 minutes or until they are tender, but still a little chewy. Stir in the spinach and salt and turn the heat up. Stir often until the spinach wilts, about a minute or so. Then add the cooked pasta and season to taste, and heat the mixture through. Serve immediately. Adapted from the Vegetarian Planet.


  1. Simple and healthy pasta dish..looks tempting and tasty...I've posted pasta recipe too...

  2. Expect the sage would help with the croaky throat too.

  3. Simple and ordinary pasta recipes are what keeps me going when times get though! (or there is no time at all!)

    Hope you all get better soon


  4. The Pasta looks great, a very innovative idea to have pasta with lentils:) A must try!

  5. Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well, I'm sitting here with a scarf around my neck due to a some odd feeling throat and a suspciously itchy nose, I think I'm getting the lurgy too.

    I love my lentils so might give this one ago as its nice to try new ways to eat legumes.

    Hope you feel weel soon.

  6. I hope you are both feeling better and that your pasta recipe did the trick.

  7. That dosen't sound ordinary at all! Sounds delicious. I've never cooked with fresh ginger. You've inspired me to give it a try.
    Hope your throat feels better.

  8. the pasta looks lovely - I love lentils in pasta - they give it a more substantial taste and make it a double whammy of comfort - sounds like you are after comfort with a cold and the end of your allotment so this is what you need - hope you are feeling better


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You