Wednesday, 24 February 2010

'Golden Apple' Squash Crème Caramels

I am rather pleased with myself, having made my first crème caramel of sorts at the weekend.
This recipe makes one 4 pint dish, but as I am not expecting any guests, I decided to make 8 individual (different shaped) ramekins that could be eaten during the course of the week. Hopefully, we’ll have some friends over and help us eat some of these, as they are rather luscious and rich for just 2 people, so any unexpected guests are most welcome.

But these crème caramels were far from perfect. I have to admit, I over caramelised the caramel by a couple of minutes, you could just about taste it being a bit scorched. Also as I had roasted and pureed the squashes from scratch for this recipe, I noted that I had not pureed it enough as there was still some strands that made the dish a little grainy, but we didn’t mind that texture. It reminded us that these were our home grown 'golden apples' squashes.
Also, as we were impatient, we didn’t chill the first couple we tasted, so as you can see the caramel has spread all over the place.
It also tasted a bit like semolina, but on being chilled overnight. It was completely different, much better as the caramel had set, albeit a little too much. The only grumble I got from D is the washing of the ramekins. Some of the caramel stuck to the surface and will need a bit of pounding with the back of a spoon to come off.
'Golden Apple' Squash Crème Caramels
Makes 8 – 10 ramekins or 1 x 4 pint dish.
Ingredients
400g sugar
300ml whole milk
300ml evaporated milk
5 medium eggs
¼ teaspoon salt
350 – 400ml pureed squash or pumpkin
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
Method
Preheat oven to Gas mark 4 (see sidebar for conversions). Melt 225g of the sugar in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. When the sugar has melted and a rich golden caramel colour, pour the caramel into the bowl or each of the ramekin dishes and immediately begin tilting the dishes around so that the caramel coats both the bottom and the sides. Set the prepared bowl or ramekin dishes aside.
Scald the milk, stop short of boiling. In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the remaining sugar until they are smooth and getting thick. Add the salt, the pureed squash or pumpkin, and the spices and beat again. Gently pour in the milk through a strainer and add it to the mixture, still beating.
Pour the mixture into the prepared dish or ramekins and place it on a large baking tray that has at least 1 inch of water in it. Put the tray carefully into the oven, and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. The cream should be golden brown on top, it should tremble only a little when shaken and a thin knife insert in the centre should come out clean.
Set the dish or ramekins on a rack and allow to cool at room temperature, then cover tightly and chill in the fridge. To unmould, loosen the sides by slipping a sharp knife around the edges, when the cream moves freely in its dish, turn onto plate(s). The cream will drop out, and the gleaming caramel should pour around it. If you’ve made a larger one, cut into wedges and serve. Recipe adapted From Anna’s Kitchen.

19 comments:

  1. This looks really good, I've never made caramel before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Janet. I'm pleased with my first attempt, but they could have been a tad better as they don't look particularly pleasing to the eye, but they taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG....I wouldn't be able to wait either...so yummy! I have a dessert right now in my freezer and I'm doing the same thing....trying to be good and wait...help...lol!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting recipe. We have far too many squashes left in our fridge from our veg box. Perhaps I'll have to give it a try. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Those are super cool looking! I am glad to see that hard times have not kept you down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks DIVINE! I hope all is well. I am so sorry to hear about your plot! I hope that you will be able to do some gardening soon!

    Your friend,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to come over and help you eat these, Mango. They look delicious to me.

    And I am so sorry about your plot. That is so wrong. Why people do such things is a mystery. You seem like a person who needs to grow things, so I hope you can find a substitute somewhere. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why do you think it tasted like semolina?

    Since you are using homegrown squash, would you like to enter this post in our Grow Your Own roundup this month? Full Details at

    http://chezannies.blogspot.com/2010/02/announcing-grow-your-own-39.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look delicious and I wouldn't mind the caramel spreading, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks really good!!!! I would love to have some!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had No Idea you could do that with a squash! We make chocolate cake with zuchini... what a delightfully sneaky way to get my fellas to eat some veg...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pam,
    It is really hard being good, esp when there is something really tempting in the fridge :D


    Pinkcat. I would recommend it. Just make sure you mash or puree the vegetable proper, otherwise it will taste a bit grainy.


    Thanks Vic, that's your name right. I read it on Krys blog, as you were the winner of her 'Pay it Forward'.


    Thank you Jenn,
    It is so good to hear from you. I hope your keeping well!



    Thank you Barbara. I'll be doing some growing in my garden plot.


    Thanks Nate.
    It was the grainy aspect of the squash in the creme caramel that reminded me of semolina.

    I like participating in GYO, so will forward this. I just wasn't sure who was hosting. Thanks for letting me know.


    Thank you Jo.


    Rachana you would be most welcome to one of these ramekins of deliciousness.


    Thanks Shannon,
    I was quite surprised to learn that most sweet squashes can be substituted for sweet pumpkins. I've made muffins with it too.

    PS I really like chocolate courgette cake. Its one of my most popular blog hits!

    ReplyDelete
  13. creme caramel was a favourite childhood pudding of mine but I don't know how to make it other than opening the packet and adding milk! Would never have dreamed it could make up part of your 5-a-day when made from scratch ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nic.
    Creme caramel is a luxury dessert I discovered only as an adult.
    Go on have a go making it from scratch, you know what they say 'taste the difference'.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bet those tasted wonderful! I have only recently chopped up and frozen my last batch of home grown pumpkin puree. Pumpkin pie is really just a version of an egg custard anyway so I can see how your recipe would work! Just such a versatile veggie and fun to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Matron.

    Anna Thomas whose recipe I adapted actually mad these with pumpkin and decribed them pumpkin pie -ish. So your spot on.

    I loved growing these and was so delighted and amazed at how many came from one plant. I hope to grow some in my garden plot. Fingers crossed they'll be prodctive in my plot as they were at the allotment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never grown these apple squash = would love to try them out.

    I so have quite a number of pumpkins left so must give this a try. I assume they freeze successfully?

    It would be perfect if they did.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Waw,..;what a neat & inspiring & interesting dessert!! Great idea!!

    These golden apple & squash crème caramel loook so tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for coming by Lottie.
    I would really recommend these, I still have about 15 rolling about in the bowl. Certainly a productive plant.

    I've reader other bloggers freezing both squash and pumpkin, but I haven't tried it, only because I have limited freezer space.


    Thank you so much Sophie.
    They were extremely rich too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen