Thursday, 4 February 2010

My letterbox part 4

After our visit to the West End on Saturday I opened the door to find a small packet on the doormat. It was addressed to me. I looked at it with curiosity thinking another package, I don’t remember ordering anything. Then I opened it to find this elegant book called friendship and a little note attached to it. It was a gift from Nic of Nip it in the bud. She had bookmarked a poem for me to read.

Shared joy is double joy, and shared sorrow is half sorrow’

Thank you so much Nic for bringing a smile to my face to end a disheartening week (last week). Your warm thoughts are, and were truly appreciated. Also last week, Kella of Kella's Musings on Growing her own listed me as one of the people to participate/contribute a favourite photograph meme. I don’t usually participate in these schemes, but this one is different, designed to reflect. This also uplifted my spirits, the question for was what to showcase and I have been thinking about it. I don’t have many childhood photos, as my parents would always forward them on to family overseas, so I don’t have many to share. Then I had decided that I was going to showcase the other men in my life, not my father or brothers, but my two dearest nephews but then thought ah this is a meme, so it should be about me. I chose this one.
This is me on Harlech Beach, North Wales when I felt my most free and where I met my husband D. We were friends a long time, before we became a couple. Now I have to pass it this Favourite photograph meme and I wondered who would I like to know a little more about and is still a mystery to me, so I chose.

FlowerPowerGirl of Plot 35
Fran of A Taste of Tottenham
Mrs Costello of Reap what you grow
FlowerPowerGirl, Fran and Mrs Costello have grown with me, I mean this in the sense we started blogging around the same time and somehow found each other.
Sarah of Our patch of earth, before I started blogging, this was one of allotment blogs I really enjoyed reading.

Debbie of Maple Spice one of my favourite vegan blogs with many innovative recipes; and finally Felicity of Thrifty Living another vegan blog and a source of inspiration and information.
Now onto something for your eyes and your belly.

Parsnip cakes with garlic borlotti beansRecipe for the parsnip cakes
Garlic borlotti beans
100ml olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1 x 200g tin of borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon of sun dried tomatoes in oil, sliced
A handful of lettuce, ripped up (yes it was grown in the U.K)
salt and pepper to taste
Method
For the beans
Heat the oil in a frying pan with the garlic over low heat until the garlic begins to turn golden. Add the beans and sun dried tomatoes and heat through. Add the lettuce, cook until it wilts, then season with salt and pepper. Divide between individual plates.

18 comments:

  1. Hi mangocheeks,
    Thank you so much for this. Your blog is wonderful and to be honest I feel quite humbled to be associated with it. I have really enjoyed reading it over the months, and am so glad that you have carried on blogging despite the awful allotment incident.
    I know exactly which photo would be my one, will send it you (is this the right thing to do - I am not really up on blog etiquette and have always failed to understand the technicalities of this sort of stuff!)
    Moy (Mrs Costello)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mangocheeks, how sweet of your friend to send you a friendship book of poems. Isn't funny when things seem to be going all wrong, how our love ones especially our friends seem to throw us a lovely safety net of love and kindness.

    I know the awards and such are not up your street I still wish to send them your way though :( but I understand where you are coming from. I kinda figured you would not have minded this one, so I'm glad I shared it with you.

    I love the photo you posted, when you spoke of carefree days it took me back to my very younger days and some memories came flooding back as I sat by the PC.

    Now golly the dish looks soooooo tasty, made my tummy grumble, gotta save it in the magic folder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I love your photo - I think it inspired my one, as it is quite similar in a way.

    I have reciprocated already, so check out my photo and congratulations on waking me out of my blogless slumber!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photo and write up! :) Thanks so much for including me, I will enjoy thinking about which photo to use - this may take me awhile in fact!! :) Oh, and another delicious looking recipe there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness HARLECH!!! My favourite beach in the whole world! How lovely that it holds such special memories for you and D. Thank you so much for giving me a mention here: I will get onto meme business now.
    Fran xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the meme, mangocheeks. I'll give mine some thought...

    Yours is stunning and you do look very calm and peaceful - at one with the world. It makes me want to go to the beach. Right now. Heck - I'll wait til it gets a bit warmer. Which is your favourite beach?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, very lovely picture. Peace, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been lucky with all the gifts you've received this week, your postman must think it's your birthday. What a lovely photograph for the meme, you chose well. The parsnip cakes look delicious. This is another one which I will have to have a go at.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's a beautiful photo. I know you're not keen on posting photos of yourself so the memories this cojures must be very special to you and D.
    I immediately knew what my favourite photo was when Moy invited me to take part. What I didn't know was that it had to be of me so I'll have to think again. Or perhaps cheat and have more than one ;o

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow you must be great friends with your local postie - beautiful photo and some great blogs you have recommended - always so many great ones out there to discover

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photo and post, Mango. I like that poem; it says a lot. And your parsnip cakes with garlic barlotti beans looks so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Moy.
    I love the photo you posted. And loved the way you wrote about your daughters and the fellow bloggers.


    Thanks Kella.
    Yes, I have been very fortunate.
    Thanks for being understanding abou the awards. I do appreciate and am always humbled when blogger friends nominate me.
    I'm happy to read that my photo meme made you reflect on your younger days :D
    Glasd you like the dish too, it really is simple to put together, esp if the parsnip cakes are made in advance.


    Thank you Debbie.
    :)
    It is a pleasure. I look forward to coming by and checking out the photo you use. Take your time!


    Hi Fran,
    Yes I remember that Harlech is your favourite beach in the whole world! Its mine too!
    I look forward to seeing your meme soon.


    Thank you so much for the meme, mangocheeks. I'll give mine some thought...


    Thank you FlowerPowerGirl.
    I always forget I have this photo of me, its one my husband loves. It Harlech Beach in North Wales, my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm looking forward to seeing your photo meme FlowerPowerGirl.


    Thank you so much Stephanie.


    Yes I agree Jo. I have been very lucky with all the gifts i've received this week.
    Thank you for the comment about the photo too. I like it. The parsnip cakes are good, I do hope you enjoy them should you get round to making them. I make them in advance and then cook them over the working week. They reheat well.


    Thank you Nic.
    Your right, I am not keen keen on posting photos of myself. I did think about another picture of me when I was little, but shyed away from that idea.
    I look forward to seeing your favourite photo. I know your wedding day one is beautiful and stunning, but you've used that, so no cheating. Saying that i think Moy used the one with her daughters in lavender too, but I'm not going to tell on her ;o
    PS once again Thank you so much for the friendship book.

    Thanks Johanna,
    :D
    Yes there are still so many lovely blogs to discover.


    Thank you so much Barbara.
    Yes the poem chosen really does say a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a lovely post and a beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've got your postperson working hard - you've certainly been getting some lovely things in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much Krys.


    Yes Choclette.
    I have been spoiled the past few days. All unexpected of course, which make it even more pleasurable.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You