Thursday, 26 March 2009

Leek, rosemary and chick pea soup

I made this wholesome and delicious soup with the leeks that I picked up from the plot early this week. The rosemary was from the garden border, and the chick peas from a tin in my makeshift store cupboard. A warming meal for a blustery rainy evening.
Leek, rosemary and chick pea soup
Serves 4 generously

Ingredients
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped,
400g leeks
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
100g potatoes, chopped into small cubes
200g cooked chick peas
2 pints of vegetable stock
2 sprigs of rosemary
salt and pepper to taste
Method
Heat oil, in a large pan and cook the onions until soft. Slice the leeks in half length ways, wash them well of grit and chop them across into thin slices. Add the leeks with the garlic to the pot and stew everything together for 10 minutes. Then add the potatoes, chickpeas, stock and the rosemary sprigs. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.

With a slotted spoon, remove and throw away the rosemary sprigs. Then take out about one third of the vegetables. Use a hand blender or a food processor to blend the remaining soup in the pot. Put back the blended soup and vegetables you took out and stir well. Add seasoning and reheat gently before serving with homemade crusty bread.

PS Please don't be tempted to put in too much rosemary, it will begin to taste soapy. An adaptation from Paradiso Seasons

5 comments:

  1. This soup is so wholesome and delicious, loved it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious....my first foray into leeks, if you can believe that. I appreciate that the soup was not too salty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to make this soon! It looks delicious. About how many leeks is 400g worth? I'm worried about buying too much and not using the rest. Our grocery store doesn't have a scale; it's probably the only one in the city that doesn't :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Becky.


    Hi Amber,
    Its about two medium leeks.
    I hope that helps.
    I hope you enjoy, I know that I very much liked this soup when I made it.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You