Tuesday, 10 March 2009

Leeks, peas and Jerusalem artichoke gratin

I have only two vegetables still growing at my plot, Musselburgh leeks and Fuseau Jerusalem Artichokes. I think I still have 4 more plants to dig up.

This dish was made over the weekend for our evening meal. I know there are many Jerusalem artichoke gratin recipes about, but I had to try it for myself. After all what am I going to do with all those Jerusalem Artichokes? This gratin was awfully rich creamy dish, so I strongly recommend serving it with either brown rice which is what we had or with boiled new potatoes.
I must apologise in advance for not posting a picture of the dish on the plate, I did take a photograph, but can’t seem to locate it. I think I may just have deleted it by error. Anyway this is what it looked like before the cheese was poured over the vegetables.

This recipe is adapted from Good Housekeeping Complete Book of Vegetarian Cooking

Leeks, peas and Jerusalem artichoke gratin served with Brown Rice and shallots
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 large onion, finely sliced
50g butter
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
150ml of vegetable stock
¼ teaspoon of grated nutmeg
2 large onions, trimmed and thickly sliced
700g Jerusalem artichokes, chopped into 1 inch thick chunks
200g frozen peas
150ml double cream
150g cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
Heat butter with the oil in a heavy based pan, add the onions and garlic and sweat over moderate heat until the onions are soft. Then add artichoke chunks and cook for about 10 minutes until well coated, then add leeks and cook for a further 10 minutes or more until the artichoke are cooked through and tender. Then add peas and stock and simmer for a further 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to an ovenproof gratin dish.

Preheat oven to gas mark 6.

Boil the remaining liquid quickly, then reduce heat and stir in the cream and 100g of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper and stir until the cheese has melted.

Pour the cheese sauce over the vegetables in the dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the gratin top.

Then bake in oven, middle shelf Gas mark 6 for 30 minutes, or until the topping is golden.

Brown rice with shallots
Ingredients
4 shallots, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
210g long grain brown rice
1 pint of vegetable stock
Salt to taste

For the rice, begin by heating the olive in a pot that has a tight fitting lid. When the oil has warmed up, add shallots and cook for 10 minutes till soft. Next stir in the rice, until they are well coated with the oil and caramelised shallots.

Then add hot stock, along with salt, stir well then cover with lid. Turn the heat on the lowest setting and cook for 40 – 45 minutes OR follow packet instructions. Do not remove the lid and do not stir the rice while cooking, as it will release the starch and make it sticky.

2 comments:

  1. mmmmmm... this sounds soo yummy! You have great recipes I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Thanks CaveGirl.
    Its certainly the best time to be cooking with Jerusalem artichokes as they are in season.
    Also Thank you so much for becoming a follower. I really do appreciate it as I find it extremely encouraging. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You