Wednesday, 12 October 2011

Mung Bean and Fenugreek Waffles

I made these 'Mung Bean and Fenugreek Waffles' a little while ago with some of my mothers home grown chillies.  

As a waffle fan: both the sweet and savoury variety, I was quite excited that I stumbled upon a recipe that allowed me to make something different with mung beans, as normally its some kind of cold bean salad or spicy dal.
...but as soon as I tried a mouthful, the excitement was soon replaced with disappointment.  I found these mung bean waffles earthy in taste and dense in texture.  Maybe they are meant to be that way, but I think it could do with a little tweaking to make it more palatable.   You can find the  slightly recipe below, if like me your curious to give it a go.
I am sharing some of these Mung Bean and Fenugreek Waffles with My Legume Love Affair#40 that is being hosted this month by Suma of Veggie Platter. MLLA was founded by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook.

Mung Bean and Fenugreek Waffles
Makes about 4
Ingredients
175g mung beans
2 - 4 green chillies, sliced
1 tablespoon dried fenugreek
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
salt to taste
Method
Soak the mung beans overnight or at least 4 hours.  Drain and blend in a food processor to a smooth paste with the green chillies and 120ml water.
Add the remaining ingredients to the batter and combine. 
Cook the waffle batter according t the waffle machine.  serve hot with butter and a green chutney.   Adapted from Tala Dalal's New Indian Vegetarian Cookery.

13 comments:

  1. Look absolutely nice!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. never thought of making waffles out of these two combo..Healthy one and a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not often that you produce something that doesn't sound appealing, but even you don't rate this one, so I'm not going to risk it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting combination for waffles! Anyway to turn a usually unhealthy recipe into something you can feel better about is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mark,
    There is a traditional Indian recipe with all these ingredients, but the batter is deep fried into balls, hence eaten as nibbles. I don't think it worked so much this way.


    Thanks Erin.
    Your right, maybe thats why I am not so keen on it - its healthy - nah - I am all for healthy. This was just not that tasty

    ReplyDelete
  6. These waffles are very unique! Nice and healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your recipes become more innovative all the time. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Zoe.


    Thank you Fayinagirl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting idea! They almost remind me of egg boxes... because of their colour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Hazel.
    Your right, they certainly do look like egg bozes, would hold quail eggs perfectly :) Not that I've eaten them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds very interesting. Thanks for such a lovely entry.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You