Wednesday, 16 March 2011

Aduki and mung bean brown rice salad

I have made this brown rice salad a number of time for a working lunch. When I first made it, was a little unsure whether I would like it, after all rice and beans sounds a little bit plain and boring, as well as old fashioned, but I was humbled and pleasantly surprised at the depth of flavour and textures.

Aduki beans are henna red in colour, in some parts of the world they are fondly called "red dragon" or "red wonder" beans. I really like that and would have called this 'Red Dragon rice salad, had I not added the mung bean. The mung bean is green, perhaps I could have called it 'green dragon'. Imagine that 'Red and Green Dragon' Rice Salad'! If nothing else, I know this name would have have turned peoples heads, who like me would have been curious to its contents'. Who knows marketed this way, this humble rice and bean salad could be a trendy offering like those you see at hip and upcoming deli's.
In addition to the rice and beans, there is spring onions and celery. I think celery gets overlooked as an ingredient in itself and seen only as a base of a soup or stew, even as a crudites. Over the past few years, I have come to appreciate the celery as a vegetable, in this salad it adds freshness and crunch. Although I've made the dressing here, I have to admit there have been times when I have cheated and used a ready made one, a good one is maple or honey-mustard dressing.
This is my entry for this month's No Croutons Required (NCR). NCR is a monthly vegetarian food blogging event, where readers are challenged to create either a soup or salad incorporating a specified ingredient. NCR is alternately hosted between the Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes and Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen, who is this months host. The ingredients for March are whole aduki or mung beans.

Aduki and Mung Bean Brown Rice Salad
Serves 6
Ingredients
55g dried aduki beans, soaked overnight in 1 pints of cold water
55g dried mung beans, soaked overnight in 1 pint of cold water
275ml brown Basmati rice
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
4 - 6 spring onions, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
For the dressing
120ml olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon salt
Method
Begin by putting the soaked beans in two separate medium sized pans, together with the soaking water, bring to the boil, cover and cook for 45 minutes or until the beans are tender. Drain any excess water if necessary.
In the meantime, place the rice in another pan with a little salt and add 1 pint of water. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed. Next, put all the ingredients for the dressing in a salad bowl and whisk together. Then while the cooked rice and the drained beans, empty them into the salad bowl and mix all the remaining vegetables together gently. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Adapted from Delia's Vegetarian Collection.

14 comments:

  1. I've yet to try that particular type of bean but I have been seeing them ALL OVER the food blogosphere lately!

    This looks absolutely delicious - no surprise, there. :)

    Hope you've been doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw both aduki and mung beans next to each other at the health food store yesterday. I paused at them, wondering what I could do with them, buying just chick peas. Now I'll have to go back - this looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mo.
    Lovely to hear from you. I do hope that you are keeping well..
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you duchess_declutter.
    I really recommend the aduki beans. Lovely texture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm - that looks tasty. I love both mung and adzuki beans (actually I like them best sprouted).
    Think I'll try that for lunch to take with me on a day out on Saturday - thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Ferris Jay.
    I hope you like them.
    I have a sprouter, but for some reason I'm not always successful with sprouting beans, but think I will give htem a go again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delish! Thanks for your kind comment. I hope you and D are keeping well, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you make adzuki beans seem more familiar as a friend of mine had a great love for red dragon pie - I remember it well because I love the anem - lovely salad

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Johanna.
    I love the name too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this last evening as a side dish for dinner and we both enjoyed it. I used one cup (dry measure) of brown rice. Weighed, it was around 170 gms on my very old rarely used little scale. In Canada, mls are usually used for liquid measure so I was a bit unsure about the stated amount for dry rice. However, 1 cup, dry measure seemed sensible and it worked out nicely. I really like adzuki beans as they lend themselves to all sorts of dishes. Used a good sized dollop of Dijon mustard as I didn't have the dried version, and I think it was a reasonable substitute. Thanks, mangocheeks, and good luck with the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much Judith.
    Thanks for the good luck.
    Had I not had the dried mustard powder at home, I too would have used good dollop of dijon mustard too.

    I'm with you on ml being used for liquid measures as that is how I use ml too, but I followed part of the recipe as the liquid was aborbed by the rice.

    I'll be making some more adzuki bean recipes soon, must use up those dried goods in the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, that must have tasted sensational with the mustard dressing ...
    And a nice combination of differently coloured beans. In Japan they add azuki beans to colour the rice red. This is to ward off evil and means happiness. Thanks for the delish dragon salad :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Torwen.
    I like the idea of colouring the rice red for happiness.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen