Monday, 14 March 2011

Seaside days - Scarborough

Our next stop after Bridlington was Scarborough. Scarborough is often called the 'Queen of the Yorkshire Coast' with Whitby on its north and Bridlington on its south.

When we got to the seaside, we were both surprised at how busy it was. The promenade was jam packed full of people, including young children, many still in their school uniform - participating in skipping activities. At first I thought it was a fund raising activity, but later realised it was related to a local tradition dating back to the early 1900s of a mass long rope skipping event on Shrove Tuesday. Scarborough's Skipping Day continues to be a celebration of days gone by when Shrove Tuesday was regarded as a holiday for workers, with many going to the seaside with their families and friends.
Anyway, it was nice to see people of all ages smiling and enjoying the good weather.
Nothing says Scarborough than a donkey on the beach!
The sign below amused us.
I don't know about tieing dog leads to the rail, but I wished irresponsible dog owners picked up their doggie poop from the beach. This was not the case only in Scarborough, but most of the beaches we had been to in the U.K.


  1. I grew up in Scarborough (well - four miles out of town) and I remember skipping on Shrove Tuesday. We used to get a half day off school to go and take part.

  2. Thank you MorningAJ.
    This makes sense as many of the children there were in their school uniform, some I guess part of a School trip. I

  3. Couldn't agree more about dogpoop - don't want pick it up don't get a dog!! Thankfully most of our beaches are pretty clear of it. Great pics I'm enjoying your tour of the coast - one day I want to do the same in my camper. X

  4. Thanks Fay.
    I could have ranted on, its not just the beaches - sometimes the streets are paved with poop. Feel like I'm playing doge ems!

    My visits to these places were all brief, as we were driving back to the West of scotland, it woudl have been much nicer exploring in more detail. Still it was good, to get some insight.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You