Sunday, 27 March 2011

Kale and Potato Tortilla wraps

aka the 'Winter wrap'.

You know for winter greens, this was a very tasty tortilla wrap and a well deserved snack after a hard days graft in the garden.

I've been hankering for a reason to make Post Punk Kitchens (PPK) 'Potato and Kale enchiladas' which I found truly exceptional on its own, but even more delicious when drenched in 'Roasted Chile sauce'. However, when I saw this recipe for 'Winter Wraps' in Thomasina Miers cookbook 'Mexican Food Made Easy', I was more than happy to change my mind as I really like Thomasina Miers approach to cooking. The texture of the filling, namely the curly kale was substantial with real bite, what I'd describe as chewy 'green meat'. The main difference with this version was its flavour. PPKs Potato and kale enchiladas have warming spices like cumin, whereas this one has a citric undertones. Still very good, just different. The recipe recommends using a combination of winter greens, curly kale, spinach and chard. For my recipe, I just used curly kale and spinach. Delightful.
Kale and Potato Tortilla wraps
Serves 4 - 6 people
450g- 500g winter greens and curly kale, washed and sliced
400g potatoes, cut into small cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, finely sliced
2 red chilies, sliced
2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Optional 200ml creme fraiche
Salt and pepper to taste
Put a large pan of water on to boil and season with salt. When it is boiling, add the greens and blanch for 5 minutes or so until the leaves have softened. Remove the leaves with a slotted spoon and now add the potatoes to the boiling water. Cook the potatoes until they are soft. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a wide frying pan and cook the shallot, garlic and chilli over a medium heat until they have softened. Add the greens and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Then stir in the potatoes, vinegar and season to taste and cook for a few minutes. Optional: If using creme fraiche, add to the pan and bring up to a simmer and cook gently for a few minutes so that the cream can reduce.
Fill your tortilla wraps generously with the filling, then roll and put in a moderately hot oven for about five minutes to heat up. Slice in half and serve immediately. These are okay to eat cold too, but I preferred them warm. Adapted from Thomasina Miers Mexican Food Made Easy.


  1. Like you, I have derived inspiration from Thomasina Miers. It's because of her that I discovered Chipotle chillis, which I now absolutely LOVE!

  2. This looks so tasty with the big chunks of potato!

  3. I love this!!! it looks SO good, fairly inexpensive, and is a ground to table meal with the ingredients which I love and appreciate. I am a total wrap lover too, I could eat wraps and sandwiches every single day. Thank you for this recipe! I will definitely be giving this a try!!!

  4. Wow! That looks good enough to eat! :-)

    I hope you have a blessed week :-)

  5. I have this memory from New Orleans - a place called Juan's Flying Burrito. It was the first time I had a potato in a burrito. Mind blowing. I even took a picture. I'm not very intrigued by the PPK's recipe, and yours. I love Mexican food... having lived in Austin, TX for 5 years, it's one of the things I miss most living in the UK. I've got a freezer full of imported tortillas that are waiting for their enchilada destiny.

  6. Definitely one to try as Kale is in season here, north west Ireland, at the moment.

  7. These look very tasty, though I have to admit I loathe Tomasina Miers (I'm very passionate about Mexican food, and her dumbed-down fauxican recipes make me want to throw things across the room). But everyone has their own likes & dislikes - the world would be a pretty dull place if we all preferred the same things!
    I love the PPK kale & potato enchiladas, though, though I usually substitute the potato for squash or pumpkin, otherwise it's a bit too much starch for me!
    Well done on the potato bed! What variety are you planting this year?

  8. yummy n healthy wraps.... new to this blog and love it... when you find time, do visit mine...
    Dish Name Starts with G

  9. Thanks Mark.
    I know from reading press coverage in the past that Thomasina Miers had received a negative reviews about here Mexican recipes being inauthentic. From my understanding she acknowledges this to an extent, as not all ingredients are available in the U.K or to home cooks liek us. So she offers a reasonable alternative. Mexican food in the main is affordable food, from what I've read from reviews she charges fair prices, unlike other eateries that exploit the niche market. I don't think there will ever be an authentic Mexican experience in the U.K. We need to go to Mexico for that. But what she has done is given us a little taste of Mexico in the U.k.

    Thank you RFR.

    Thanks yummychunklet.

    Thank you so much Morgan.

  10. Thank you Ron :-)

    Thanks for sharing your memories Monica.
    It was lovely to read and follow your link :)

    I have to admit I was rather surprised that your not very intrigued by the PPK's recipe, as most reviews I've read abotu it have been overwhelmingly positive, as well as my own. But hey, we all have different tastes and experiences. I'm not totally sure about eating frozen imported tortillas, but hey I am willign to give them a go :)

    Thank you Bridget.
    Its lovely to make your acquaintance.

  11. Lovely to hear from you littleblackfox.
    Oh I'm a little sorry to read that your not so keen on Thomasina Miers. Too an extent I can understand. I had my reservations about her at the start when she won Masterchef when I read she wasn't an amateur/novice cook, but had a lot of cooking experience behind her, including having been to cookery school. I had thought the premise of Masterchef was finding amateur home cooks who could excel into professional cooks.

    I know your very passionate about Mexican food and have introduced me to so much. But in her defence, her version of Mexican recipes are to appeal to home cooks and give them an insight of Mexican cuisine and expand their culinary scope. And to give some of a little taste of Mexico in the U.K, hey this may be the closest to Mexico I get. For that you must give her credit. Plus she goes beyond the limited Tex-mex Chill! Now for that she deserves a gold star.

    Re the potato bed - they are Organic Jersey Royals.

    Thank you Akila.

  12. I agree that I was surprised that she was in masterchef, I thought the premise of Masterchef was to give amateur cooks the chance to experience professional cooking & get a chance to develop their abilities. I love watching someone who can barely roll pastry develop into skilled chefs.

    As for Thomasina Miers, we'll just have to disagree on that one. The very name of her restaurant - Wahaca - is an insult to Oaxaca, and to her customers. And then there's charging £750 a time for taco making classes.
    But as I said before, each to their own. I'm just a bit peculiar for growing epazote on my windowsill, I guess...

  13. Thanks littleblackfox
    I am shocked to learn how much the cooking classes are, that is extortionate!

    Love the fact that your gorwing your own epazote.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You