Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Celeriac and Coriander Soup with a dash of lime

So here is a bonus recipe for the day: Celeriac and coriander soup.

I had some celeriac left over from the Celeriac and Brown rice Gratin I made earlier. Again, not one to waste I made a soup . I liked the soup, so did D saying it was 'rich, creamy and flavourful', but he did have a little criticism. As much as he likes citrus and sharp flavours, he thought I was a little too generous with the lime juice towards the end. I also added coriander to the soup, only because I had some in the fridge but if your not keen on coriander, you could easily substitute this with parsley or omit it all together.
Celeriac and Coriander Soup with a dash of lime
Serves 4
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium celeriac, peeled and roughly chopped
1 ½ pints vegetable stock
Juice of 1 lime
1 inch knob of ginger, grated
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 red chilli, chopped
Small bunch of fresh coriander, leaves and stalks separated
Optional: 50g creamed coconut
Salt to taste
Method
Heat the oil and cook the celeriac gently in a saucepan for 10 minutes, without colouring. Add the stock, ginger, thyme, chilli, coriander stems and half of the juice from the lime. Bring to the boil and simmer covered for 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat and add the creamed coconut.
Cool a little, then puree in a liquidiser until smooth. Taste for seasoning. Reheat gently, stir in the remaining lime juice to taste and the coriander leaves and serve. Adapted from Covent Garden Soups.

13 comments:

  1. That looks delicious - I don't think celeriac is available here...what do you think about subbing celery...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mangocheeks
    I tried growing celeriac last year but they only grew as big as a golf ball!
    Might have to buy some and give this a go
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are flavours I really like together... coriander, lime, coconut, hot bit of chilli pepper. Never thought to use celeriac though and it isn't a vegetable I grow. Must look into that. Thanks Mango Cheeks. I like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Affectioknit.
    You may know celeriac as celery root. I don't think celery woudl be a good sub, as it is completely different in flavour. Sorry.


    Jane aka Chicken lover.
    Sorry to read that your celeriac didn't grow well. Please do buy some right now as its at its best.


    Thank you so much Gardeningbren.
    So so pleased to read your liking this soup.
    You've made my evening, I am going to bed with a big smile on my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mangocheeks - this looks just so nice. I'm putting it aside for when our weather cools down enough for soup. I don't think I have ever used celeriac before, but I have seen it. Thanks - you are a powerhouse of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! Love creamy soups.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Duchess_declutter.
    I do hope you get round to trying this veg.



    Thank you yummychunklet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes please and I would have had D's share had I been there, I love things with a citrus bite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Kath,
    You would have been more than welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always such inventive flavour combinations mangocheeks! I have a celeriac and some limes in the fridge, perhaps I should buy some corinader?! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Hazel,
    You can replace the coriander with parsley if its easier to get hold of.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there! I started cooking this and I realized I didn't have a liquidiser...what do you think of just eating it in its pre-pureed state? thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi thoughtsthatdance.
    You can mash it too if your so wish, otherwise rough chunks should be okay. Only drawback the stock won't be as thick.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You