Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Celeriac and Brown Rice Gratin

When I picked up a celeriac, also known as Celery root from the supermarket, I had intentions of making Celeriac and Horseradish burgers, but on having made the Harissa Bean burgers recently, I changed my mind to something a little more homely. Another reason for making this is to use up store cupboard ingredients, in this case 'brown rice'.

I've made this 'Brown rice gratin' before with homegrown baby sweet lightning pumpkins.  Here it is made with celeriac and carrots.  Although not shown here, the gratin was covered generously in cheese sauce, but I don't think its necessary as it also good without. 

Oh just a word of caution, go easy on the seasoning, I found that after I had seasoned the brown rice, seasoned the roast vegetables, and seasoned the cheese sauce and it was all a little too salty for me, but other other that it was good.
Celeriac and Brown Rice Gratin
Serves 4
Ingredients
For the rice
210g brown Basmati rice
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 shallots, peeled and sliced
1 pint vegetable stock
For the vegetables
1 medium celeriac, peeled and cubed
200g carrots, peeled and sliced
2 medium red onions, peeled and quartered
1 heaped teaspoon dried thyme
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and black pepper to taste
For the cheese sauce
1 pint milk
40 g plain flour
40 g butter
1 teaspoon cayenne
75g Cheddar, grated
Salt and black pepper
Method
Preheat the oven to gas mark 8.
Place the vegetables and the red onion,garlic and herbs,season with salt and pepper. Toss them in olive oil. Evenly arrange them on the baking tray, then place this on the highest shelf of the oven to roast for about 30 minutes, or until they are nicely brown at the edges. As soon as they are ready, take them out and reduce the oven temperature to gas mark 6.
For the rice
Begin by warming the frying pan over a medium heat, then add the oil and the onions and let them cook for 3-4 minutes. Next stir in the rice and turn the grains over in the pan so they become lightly coated with oil. Then add the boiling stock, along with the salt, stir once only, then cover with the lid, turn the heat to the very lowest setting and cook for 40-45 minutes. Please don't remove the lid and don't stir the rice during cooking.
Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce by placing the milk, flour, butter and a pinch of the cayenne pepper into a medium-sized saucepan, then whisk it all together over a gentle heat until you have a smooth, glossy sauce. Let it cook on the lowest heat for 5 minutes, and after that add half the cheeses. Whisk again and allow them to melt into it, then season the sauce with salt and, black pepper. When the vegetables and rice are cooked, arrange the rice in the ovenproof dish, then the vegetables on top of that, followed by the sauce, pouring it over and around the vegetables as evenly as possible.
Finally, scatter over the remaining cheeses with a sprinkling of cayenne pepper, then return the dish to the oven and give it about 20 minutes or until the sauce is browned and bubbling. Adapted from Delia's Vegetarian Collection.

11 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I will try this - although my three year old son is a bit of a veggie refuser (which I am desperately trying to get him out of the habit of) but he does like rice. I'll chop the veg up quite fine after it's cooked when I serve it for him - if the veg is small enough or hidden he'll usually eat it without complaint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for things to do with celariac. I seem to be brilliant at growing it and then wonder what on earth to do with it, so I'll be giving this one a try.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm...looks healthy and delicious. I had my first celeriac last week. I had leeks and celeriac soup in a cafe...very delicious. I must learn more how to use celeriac. Thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things sounds like an interesting and tasty recipe! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Ruth.
    I used to dislike brown rice, but a couple of years ago was reacquainted with it and my opinion changed.

    You ust forgive your three year old son, I think its 'quite normal' to dislike your veg at that age up until your late teens.

    Quite amused to learn how your are feeding him veg, in small bits as that is one way my mother made me eat aubergine and okra (eek) now I don't mind either veg. I think with age you begin to appreciate certain veg.


    So pleased you like this Sue.
    Celeriac is a difficult veg to be creative with. I'm often at a loss with ideas, but roasted this was it was rather good. I had enough left over to make a soup too. Oh you must try to make a celeriac remoulade too - its very popular amongst chefs.

    I'm delighted to read your a dab hand at growing this veg, it is rather wonderous to watch grow.
    If you don't fancy the rice, you can just roast the veg and have it as a side dish xx


    Thank you MaryMoh.
    Its really loveley to hear from you.
    Celeriac is rather popular in soups and as a remoulade. Please do come by again, it was most appreciated.


    Thank you so much yummychunklet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sounds nosh! we love a bit of mashed potato + celeriac with wholegrain mustard:
    my late mother-in-law used to thickly slice & braise it: I think she added vinegar to it which gave it a sauerkraut taste: but eaten warm and juicy:
    we are now fans of brown rice after eating it at Leon {eating shop & place of good recipes}
    shame it takes forever to cook though:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Chocolategirl,
    I like the sound of the celeriac braised, so will keep that in mind for next time. I would have made it now, but the remaining celeriac got used for soup.

    PS I haven't had the opportunity to eat at Leons, but I do Leon the cookbook as I am a fan of Allegra McEvedy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi mangocheeks, I don't know which to try first - the gratin or the soup. They both sound delicious and healthy. I notice you are a forager. Wild garlic is in abundance at the moment - any good tips?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Hester Casey,
    Nice to make your acquaintance.

    I'm an amateur forager, only got into foraging a few years ago. Have so so so so much to learn. But something I am confident about is wild garlic. Waiting for it to appear here in Scotland. Sorry no tips, but plenty of recipes. See link below.

    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2010/04/more-vegetarian-wild-garlic-recipes.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wuaaaauu!!
    My wife is so happy to see such recipes. Congratulations.
    I´m goona try the bestroot and quinoa burguers MMM Good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much kitchen lab Chile.
    I do hope you like the burgers.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You