Tuesday, 15 March 2011

Parsnip Loaf Roast

Before you think 'err parsnip loaf' and skip this recipe,
please - I encourage you to read on.

This 'Parsnip roast' is not a variation of a nut loaf or a veggie substitute for meat. This parsnip loaf was designed to be served up as part of a Roast dinner, albeit a vegetarian one in my case, but I do genuinely believe it would be welcomed on a plate of a Traditional roast dinner.
I wanted something different from the plain boiled or roasted parsnips, and this was a very good change.
It was crisp on the outside and sweet and soft on the inside,not mushy soft but with a little chew and bite. Go on, try it with your next Roast dinner, who knows it may become your 'Parnsip Love roast'' If not, you could always pour gravy over it.
Parsnip RoastServes 4 - 6 people as part of a roast dinner
400g parsnips, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon parsley, minced or 1 generous teaspoon dried mixed herbs
2 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
MethodLine and grease a 450g/1lb loaf tin.
Peel and grate the parsnips. In a pan, heat the olive oil and add the onion, cook until tender. Add the garlic, parsnips, herbs, salt and pepper to taste and cook with the lid on for a few minutes, stirring from time to time to stop it from sticking to the pan. When the parsnip is soft, turn off heat and set aside to cool. When cool, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Then add in the eggs and combine well. Put the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth the top with a knife. Place on middle shelf and bake on Gas mark 3 for 1 hour. This recipe can be made in advance and easily be reheated. Adapted from The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook.


  1. I reckon that might be good as a sort of savoury bread, served cold with cheese, and maybe some onion marmalade...

  2. Possibly one of the best way to serve parsnip ever!

  3. Next time I`ll do a roast dinner I must try your delicious parsnip roast.
    It looks so delicious.
    Great work ♥

  4. I made a carrot loaf with the kids which was similar. Great idea to serve it with a roast dinner and I definitely think it would be lovely with gravy. Hmm.

  5. How interesting, it looks more like a cake than a savoury loaf. I had friends around for lunch today and made parsnip and apple soup - rather wishing I'd made this now. What did you have with it?

  6. Thanks Mark.
    You do make me smile, with you onion marmalade suggestion.

    Thank you so much Alessandra!
    Have you seen my Parnsip and rosemary tart. Its a dessert too.

    Thanks Ana Powell.
    I hope you enjoy it.

  7. Louise,
    Funny you should mention carrot loaf, as I was making this the thought did cross my mind of halfing the quantity of parsnip and subbing it with carrots. Good to know you've made a similar version.

    Thanks Choclette.
    I agree it does look more like a cake than a savoury loaf. Guess what, ordinarily with parsnips, I do make Jane Grigsons Curried parsnip soup - my favourite, but have recently been looking for other parsnip recipes. I was quite pleased with this one. This was served as part of a Veggie roast - mostly vegetables, roast potatoes, carrots and sprouts.

  8. That looks good, I'll try it without the eggs!

  9. I never knew how to use parsnip, that's an option to consider. Thanks for sharing.

  10. I'll be bookmarking this - no flour sounds interesting though I would be tempted to add cheese - but I love the simplicity - nice substitution for plain old parsnips

  11. Yum parsnips! This looks good. Yes curried parsnip soup rates highly with me also.

  12. So many interesting recipes to be found here. Thanks for sharing! Best wishes, Tammy

  13. I love parsnips, so I think this looks delicious! So pleased your polenta cake worked out, can't wait to see the results. I've become a bit polenta-cake obsessed lately and made Nigella's lemon one over the weekend - very sweet and rich (no surprise there) but utterly divine all the same.

  14. Thanks Mandee.
    I have another savoury parnsip recipe that may interest you, its vegan too.

    Thanks Victor.
    Its actually a vegetable I stuggle to be innovative with too.

    Thanks Johanna GGG.
    The addition of cheese sounds like an excellent idea.

  15. Thank you Cabbage Tree Farm.
    If i saw Curried parsnip soup as an option on a menu, I'd go for it!

    Thank you Tammy.
    Best wishes to you too.

    Thank you KitchenMaid.
    I'll be posting the variation of the polenta cake soon - all lemony and blueberry :)

  16. Oooh, I have an excess of parsnips at the moment, so will be making that for dinner (the idea of adding cheese sounds really good too), along with the last of my kale from the garden & some mash.

    I think you'd like something I made yesterday - a parsnip, honey & lavender cake! I meant to blog about it, but it all got eaten before I could take a picture.
    Much love, dear friend

  17. littleblackfox.
    You are lucky, those I've grew in the past have always been forked. I have to admit, I am more envious of your kale.

    Your so right, I would have loved a slice of you 'Parsnip, honey and lavender cake'. Funny you should mention it though, I have been thinking about creating a 'parsnip and violet cake'. I picked up some violet syrup when I was in Brittany last year and have yet to open it. I think its a baking project in the next few weeks.

  18. This post provided us with a lovely coincidence yesterday, just as I was printing out the recipe ready to give it a go, I got an email from my Mum to say she had made it for her lunch and recommending it most highly.

    I'm really looking forward to trying it now. After switching to vegetarianism at the start of the year I'm trying to educate myself to liking more veggies, I'm winning with mushrooms, now with the help of this I'm hoping to win with parsnips.

    Fantastic post as always, I really look forward to your recipes.

    Sue xx

  19. Oh Sue,
    YOu have me all fuzzy with smile - What a wonderful comment, I am so dellighted to read that your Mum liked it. I'll be making it again, perhaps with the addition of carrots and some additional spices.

    I hope you like it. I'm not that fond of parsnips to be hoenst with you - I find it a little too sweet for a root veg, so this recipe was a thumbs up with me. I still have an icky attitude towards mushrooms, I like some and others not so much - so the point i am trying to make in a round about way, is I understand where you are. Warm wishes to you and your Mum!

  20. I made this for dinner yesterday & it was delicious! I decided against cheese in the end and went for a dollop of grain mustard & a smidge of honey. The leftovers made a really tasty lunch with a pile of salad leaves too!
    Thank you for yet another scrummy recipe!

  21. Littleblackfox.
    So pleased you liked it. I am really Liking your addition of honey and grainy mustard.

  22. tried to comment - had to go away to sign on to my blogsite - then came back to find my brilliant comment had vanished. Why do i never learn?

  23. Dear Jill aka albertine,
    I am always disappointed to learn when this happens, I can only empathise as it has often happened to me. Still i must thank you for leaving this comment, its appreicated really.
    Kind wishes and a Happy New Year.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You