Sunday, 30 October 2011

Apple Cider Cake

I've been promising to share this Apple Cider cake for a little while now.  I made this with some foraged cooking apples early this month, so here it is - burnished bronze with leafy apple slices pretending to mimic fallen autumnal leaves.  

This cake was described by my husband as very apply.  He also added that he especially liked the natural sweetness from the sultanas.
I also have to apologise to my readers, especially to those who may have been wondering of my absence from blogging the past week or so.  I had to travel to Wales to be with my mother for a scheduled operation; and without getting into it too much - unfortunately it did not go ahead, as the surgeon predicted some complications and recommended that the operation should be postponed (again!). 

Well with having booked a return flight ticket back to Scotland a week later, I had to find other ways of entertaining myself.  This included spending time with nephews and nieces (who were on half term holiday); exploring some new areas in south-east Wales; as well as re-familiarizing myself with some old places - but more about that later in the week.
Apple Cider Cake
Ingredients
Serves 6 – 8
300g self raising flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
175g golden caster sugar
150g sultanas
125ml vegetable oil
2 eggs lightly beaten
175ml cider
For the topping
1 -2 cooking apple, peeled, cored and sliced
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark4.
Lightly grease a loose bottomed 8 inch round cake tin.  Line the base and sides with greaseproof paper.
Sift the flour and cinnamon into a large bowl.  Add the sugar, sultanas, oil, eggs and cider and stir together with a wooden spoon until well combined.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. 
Arrange the apple slices over the top. 
Bake in the oven for about 1 – 1 ½ hours or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.  Cover with greaseproof paper during the baking if the apples begin to show signs of over browning. 
Cool the cake, then remove from the tin, peel off the lining paper and allow to cool completely before serving.

25 comments:

  1. Sad to hear about your mother. I hope everything goes fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I hope your mum gets better soon.
    I missed your recipes and this one you just post is a lovely cake for a sunny sunday with tea or mate, here in Buenos Aires.
    All my goods thoughts for your family

    Verónica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am rather partial to apple cake but have never heard of one with cider- I'll have to get baking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about the cancelled operation ~ my dad has had an operation cancelled twice now and it is a worry.
    However,on a happier note, the cake looks fabulous!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apple cake is my favourite - love the look of the apples on top - you're right - like the Autumn leaves.
    I hope everything gets sorted out for your Mum. Were you able to cheer her up with some of your cooking while you were there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about your mother. How stressful to have to prepare for such a thing and then have it (repeatedly by the sounds of things) postponed. This cake would probably cheer her up - it looks incredible. "Very apply" certainly appeals to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this sounds wonderful and am even willing to do the math conversion so I can make it.;) Thanks for sharing.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shaheen,
    I love anything with apples in it. The cake looks lovely!

    Paz :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks beautifully autumnal. Apple cake really is one of the best. Sorry to hear about your mother and how incredibly frustrating to have the operation cancelled - again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back! Was wondering why it's been a bit quiet over at your place this last week. Nice recipe. I love apple cake. Check out "vegetable soil" though in the recipe - I'm not sure this would enhance taste ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your mother's surgery! Thinking of you and your family...

    This apple cider cake is lovely, and I'm very impressed that you were able to bake this gorgeous cake amidst your travels! I've most definitely bookmarked this for baking with the apples currently sitting in our fridge... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My sort of cake including the apple cider! You should have entered that in "The Pink Whisk's" apple competition held in October. Have a look at my mum's cake in my post Peggy's Apple Cake. The recipe is located on my sister's blog http://lheureduthe-jennifer.blogspot.com/
    it's very easy and anything goes as you will see. Wishing your mother good health.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an interesting cake recipe including cider - my sort of cake. You should have entered this into the Pink Whisk's apple competition in October. You might also like my mum's apple cake - very easy and anything goes as you will see from my post on Peggy's Apple Cake receipe is on my sister's blog L'heure du the

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely cake, perfect for autumn. I am sending you best wishes for you and your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Wow! I am glad you did! Because I get to see your blog! It is beautiful! Great recipes and beautiful pictures! Definitely my kind of blog! I have another blog besides "Cooking With Fire" it is http://love4coffee.blogspot.com I hope you stop by! :) Following you here now! I will be trying your recipes! Just the titles sound so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to read about the cancellation but glad to have you back blogging. Cake looks wonderful and perfect for this time of year...cold and damp here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious and as soon as I'm home (not in my uni flat with no mixing bowl, cake tin, etc!) I'll definitely try this out! I only discovered your blog a few days ago when searching for Golden Beetroot recipes (I just found out they're coming in my veg box this week!) and I've found loads of amazing recipes, especially good as I am a vegetarian who can't eat dairy products and your recipes seem perfect. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS, especially those for my mother.

    Louise, Nah - she won't let me cook when I am down there. I get spoiled rotten.

    Yogi Kitchen - thanks, for pointing it out - yeah 'soil' would be an interesting flavour enhancer :)


    Lovely to make your acquaintance Magnolia.
    I've been baking a lot with apples this month, and guess what I have actually entered a recipe to the Pink Whisk - its an Cinnamon Apple Shortckae. I will def. come by your Mums blog later.


    Thank you so, so much Paloma. I will certainly be coming by.


    Its lovely to make your acquaintance Freya.
    How interesting you found my blog through an old recipe. I've not grown any golden beetroot this year, but will be for sure next year. I prefer them to the usual crimson variety. Hope you enjoy cooking from my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this cake. So easy to make and so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope your mother is doing reasonable well. I will keep her in my prayers.
    This apple cider cake looks so tasty & truly appetizing!
    MMMMMMMMMMMM,...;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry to hear about your mum - hope she is doing ok - glad you are able to offer her support - love the sound of the cake

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You