Monday, 19 April 2010

Carrot, coconut and raisin muffins

I was actually going to make some coconut cookie balls that I had seen on Eves blog. Then I noted I had some carrots in the vegetable rack starting to look a little limp. Now for those of you who know me, will know that I would ordinarily send such vegetables to the compost bin, but if I can transform them into an edible delight, then I will certainly try. Well that is exactly what I did last night. I made some carrot, coconut and raisin muffins for the working week ahead. These muffins were a little on the dry side. I think I didn't distribute the raisins evenly; or maybe the carrots were too gone, but its something that is easily rectified with a cuppa tea or coffee.
Another thing I noticed, these muffins tops compared to ones I've made before were very neat and smooth. I made this recipe using American cups. Its the one time my American cup measurements, inherited at University from an American exchange student come out.
Carrot, Coconut and raisin muffins
Makes 12
Ingredients
2 cups plain flour
3/4 caster sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 cup carrot, grated
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup of flaked coconut
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 5. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper muffin cups.
Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and soda in a large bowl. Stir in the carrot, raisins and coconut. In another bowl, mix together the eggs, buttermilk, milk and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients and mix briefly until just combined. Carefully spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cup, dividing it evenly. Bake in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes, or until risen and golden. Serve warm and cold. Adapted from Catherine Atkinson Muffins Galore.

19 comments:

  1. Scrumptious and beautiful garden area!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely. Thank you for the link! I love your site, and what a surprise to see you've mentioned me and my cookie-balls :D

    Well your muffins look sooo delicious, and I love your artistic eye in photography. I'm going to give this recipe a try. Maybe I'll add a bit of butter to it for extra moistness. Thanks for this!! I'll let you know how they'll come out and give you a bit thank you in my post. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very delicious muffins.Love the combination of carrot and coconut.Thank you for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I can be lazy and not have to go to the exchange website!

    In her younger years my grandma used to be obsessed with carrots, she'd make a carrot 'anything'. But I don't think I ever saw her make muffins...I might just need to surprise her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is like re-visiting my dorie greenspan gingered carrot cookies!
    THe muffins don't look dry at all and I'm sure they were great paired with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMMM,..they look so tasty & yummie,...:;)!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I just printed that out - they look lovely...I bet a bit of pumpkin or applesauce would add some moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh a question too - did you use sweetened coconut?

    ReplyDelete
  10. TO YOU ALL
    I tell you that these were not very moist and yet you still want to make them. You do all make me smile. Thank you!


    Your so welcome Eve.
    Its just a shame I didn't get to make your coconut cookie balls, maybe next time.

    My mother always told me not to play with my food, but at the moment I just can't seem to help it. I do think it makes a difference now and again. I'd add a little more buttermilk, coconut and raisins, but a little butter I'm not sure, though I don't think it any harm. Hope they are moist enough when you make them.


    Thank you Kiran :D


    Thanks Mommy Is Green!


    Thanks Rose.
    The savoury muffins made a good lunch!


    Thanks Beautiful Chilean Woman!
    You must surprise your Grandma with your own muffins, just make sure yours are moist unlike mine.


    Grapefruit your right.
    Your gingered carrot cookies did go through my mind too, but I already had the coconut flakes in my hand, so it had to be this. Next time it'll be your recipe cos I do have ginger in all its form at home!


    Thank Jo. Though they lacked moisture, they were quite tasty. My husband enjoyed them more than m, but he can drink copious amounts of tea!


    Thank you Sophie.


    Thanks Christine.
    I think the applesauce would add great moisture.
    You could also up the quantity of raisins and coconut.

    I used organic toasted flaked coconut (as shown in the picture) that was unsweetened.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your recipe is great and this picture soooo beautiful!
    thank you for sharing :)
    justyna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I meant to say "I'll give you a biG thank you" wups. Anyway.. I'll do it just the way you said, with extra buttermilk, coconut and raisins. Thanks a bunch! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eve,
    If you do get round to making these, I do hope they are moist- moist - moist!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey ho, Eve look at you spreading your bloggy wngs :)

    This looks like a lovely recipe to try out, will have to alter slightly though, I'll pop it into my magic folder :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kella,
    The only thing with these muffins was its lack of moisture, so make sure you add a touch more of everything!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You