Tuesday, 6 April 2010

Cauliflower pie for a rainy day

Creamy, cheesy cauliflower – for some people these ingredients shout and scream 'comfort food', but not me. As you may remember I am not particularly fond of the cauliflower, but today I am easily persuaded to change my mind, especially when the weather outside is blustery and rainy. Something deep and warming like this, well it just sounds so comforting.
Creamy Cauliflower Pie
Serves 4
1 medium cauliflower
1 medium onion, finely minced
50g butter
25g plain white flour
350ml milk
½ ground mace or a gentle grating or nutmeg
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard powder
50g Gruyere cheese, grated (optional)
40g fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Packet of 375g ready made puff pastry
To prepare the filling, cut the cauliflower into small florets and steam until just cooked. Drain and set aside. Melt the butter in a saucepan and fry the onion until soft. Add the flour and cook, stirring for minute. Remove from the heat briefly while you gradually whisk in the milk. Stir in the mace, mustard, cheese if using, parsley and seasoning. Return to the heat and cook, stirring until thickened. Add the cauliflower florets to sauce and stir well until coated. Turn into a pie dish.
Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cover the dish. Flute the edges and make a hole in the top of the pie to allow the steam to escape. If you wish decorate with leaves from the pastry trimmings.
Optional: Brush pie with beaten egg. Bake at Mark 7 for 25 to 30 minutes or until the pastry is risen and golden.


  1. I have to assume it tasted well but you didn't say ;)

  2. Mm, that looks good. Never thought of making a pie with cauliflower. Thanks for the idea!

  3. mmm, what a yummy looking dish. I admire your perseverance with all things cauli :o)

  4. I have to say I'm not a real fan of cauliflower myself, but I've beeen making a cauliflower and brocolli cheese for my little ones since they were babies and it's gorgeous. Seeing your filling with that home made pastry is very tempting. Lovely, thank you, Karen x

  5. I haven't eaten cauliflower in a pie before, but it looks tasty.

  6. sometimes I think that even a boring vegetable can taste good under a puff pastry crust :-)!! I am also not n.1 fan of cauli, I prefer broccoli, but like this I could eat it for sure!

  7. That looks very comforting on a cold, rainy day! Loving the dijon in it:)

  8. Another one to add to my growing list of things from your blog I want to try - looks yummy!

  9. Sorry Kella,
    In my haste to post this, I forgot to say. I didn't mind it too much. I just found the mustard a bit strong for my taste.

    Your welcome Scattered Gardener. Thank you so much for coming by.

    Thanks Nic.
    I have a couple of more cauli dishes to post.
    Sure am perservering :D

    Thank you Karen.
    I'll keep in mind to make a pie with broccoli next time. The puff pastry does make it a little more appealing.

    I recommend it.

    the more I think, I actually think I am still a fussy vegetable eater. I am not a big fan of brocolli either, but I adore the stalks.

    Thanks Janet,
    The dijon mustard was certainly different for me. My husband liked it, but he liked creamy, cheesy cauliflower dishes.

    Thanks Ruth :D

  10. Looks lovely. I love pastry...unfortunately I loathe cauliflower and broccoli. I often feel quite guilty for not eating them.

  11. Christine,
    I'm not a big fan of cauliflower either, but for the past year I have been eating it in many different ways. Please do check out some of my previous cauliflower posts, you might just find something that may tempt you. Then you don't have to feel guilty, a little is better than none at all :D

  12. Have just found your brill blog. I have to commend you on your beautiful photography.

    I am starting my own blog. Would yo take a look at mine and add me to your blogroll, if you like it. Thanks

  13. Thank you so much GreenFlag.
    I share the photography with my husband, but I think its a lot more to do with the camera as well as we really are amateur photographers.
    I am more than delighted to add you to my blogroll. I started over a year ago and hardly had any comments (or followers) for 4 months, so I know what its like to get started.
    Also Thank you so much for becoming a follower too. I am always humbled by fellow readers when they choose to become a follower, its a huge compliment.

  14. I've been really enjoying catching up on your blog and all the wonderful recipes and easter photos. I love cauliflower - my mum made lots of cauliflower cheese when I was young so it is comfort food for me - and this pie looks like wonderful comfort food. In fact my mum's cauliflower cheese was so good she would make extra and we would take a warm plate of it to our neighbour.

    I have looked up a few of my favourite cauliflower recipes for you - particularly those that serve it with different flavours but highly recommend trying to roast it:
    Cauliflower, feta and cranberry salad
    Cauliflower Peanut Curry
    Curried Cauli, Spinach and Peanut Soup

    I hope you might find your special cauliflower dish that makes you as happy as just seeing this pie recipe does for me!

  15. Johanna,
    Why am I not surprised that you like cauliflower. I wish I did as much as you. Its rally kind of your mum to give a plate to your neighbours then. This is something my mother still does - the sharing of food.

    Thank you so much for giving me these lins to your cauli recipes. I have two already bookmarked that I want to try, then I may just be tempted by cauli peanut curry. Thank you so much once again, it is truly appreciated.

  16. I want the pie!!!! I am stil at work... and will be at work... and i am so hungry... and it looks yammyyyyy!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You