Wednesday, 7 April 2010

Cauliflower soup with paprika

I know, I know another cauliflower recipe. You understand why, it's in season and at its best right now.
The cauliflower soup was white, light and creamy, so I didn’t bother adding the optional cream, but you are welcome to if you wish. This cauliflower soup tasted a tad bitter. If anyone can remind me of the reason why this is, I would really appreciate it. Other than that, it was actually quite good with the paprika and served this way it looked quite effective too.
Before I go, just a gentle reminder about my 555th blog post giveaway. I am also including one of these Scottish tea-towels, so if you have not yet signed up, please do as the deadline is Saturday. I will be announcing the winner on Sunday.
Cauliflower Soup with paprika
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 cauliflower weighing about 450g - 500g, chopped
1 onions, finely sliced
Sprig of fresh thyme (not dried)
850ml or 1 ½ pints water
Salt and pepper to taste
Paprika to serve
Optional 4 tablespoon soya or double cream
Method
Put the oil into a large saucepan and add the onion, soften for about 10 minutes before adding the celery and the cauliflower. Cook on medium heat covered for 10 minutes, then add the thyme and all of the water. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and levee the soup to simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender. Turn off and allow to cool.
Remove the thyme, liquidise the soup. Return to the pan, season to taste and reheat gently with optional cream. Serve in warm bowls. Top each with a swirl of paprika. Adapted from Rose Elliots Vegetarian Low Carb.

10 comments:

  1. I Love your blog! Im so glad I came across it! Your recipes looks delicious, and your pictures are beautiful! I will be giving many of these a try for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps it's bitter because it's part of the cabbage family, and they are all various shades of bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks so good! I will have to try that! i love making soups!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo I have been looking for a cauliflower soup recipe! And I love that you didn't have to add cream !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, another good way to use those cauli :-) Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that the paprika is in the shape of a chilli pepper - brilliant. Made me smile. :-0

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are really getting into the cauliflower now!! Good job. Peace, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so tasty. We are trying to get our fill of soup. Soon, it will be to hot for soup. I love cauliflower.

    And congratulations on your 555th blog post. I love your blog. It is great. And the goodies you are giving away are great. It makes me miss Scotland even more. "Sigh".

    Hope you have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for coming by and your lovely comments Morgan.


    Thank you Jen S.
    I think you may just be right.


    Thank you Darlene.


    Gastronomy Gal,
    I really don't think this soup needs additional cream, it really is naturally creamy.


    Thank you so much Alessandra :D


    Thanks Jo.


    Thank you so much Ruth. The little creative person in me comes out now and again.


    Stephanie - I am certainly trying :D


    Krys,
    You right, soon it will be warm then hot here too, so were trying to enjoy soup too. And thank you so much for the warm congratulations. I have no doubt you'll be back in Scotland one-day. Just try not to come when it rains, and that happens all the time :D

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You