Thursday, 29 April 2010

Rhubarb and Ginger Loaves

Around this time last year I was able to 'force' some of my own rhubarb. It was incredibly delicious, but in the process of ‘forcing’ it, I think I may have killed my rhubarb plant. I actually grew it from seed and was so proud of it. Instead of being considerate and letting it get become strong and established, I greedily demanded it produce some luminous pink forced rhubarb. Early this year, when I went to check out its progress in the corner of my garden plot. I noticed my rhubarb plant was no more. Maybe it was me exerting so much pressure upon it, maybe it was the dingy corner it was in, or maybe it was just the cold weather. I have replaced it with a 'Timperly' variety, but I won’t be able to reap any of its benefits until next year.

Anyway, this year I have been patiently waiting for this seasons crop of rhubarb. It slow appearance at the grocery stores, farm shops and supermarkets has been blamed on the unusually cold weather which included a lot of snow. Those that had appeared on the shelves were of course imported, until early this week when I spotted some English rhubarb. Most of the rhubarb grown in England is grown in a small area of West Yorkshire between Bradford, Leeds and Wakefield famously dubbed as the ‘Rhubarb Triangle’. The Scottish ones have yet to grace the shelves. Maybe I’ll find some this weekend?!

Well as much as I tried to resist, I just could not walk by and ignore this English rhubarb. Its seaside sticker rock pink allured me and the thought of its sharp mouth-puckering goodness, well just tempted me.
Now that I had it in my bag, I wondered what to make with it. I could just make a crumble, a cake or even a tart, but with the weather being warmish, neither appealed to me. Instead I decided to make some simple 'rhubarb and ginger loaves'. These are really airy light muffins made in individual loaf tins. These are not overly sweet, instead allowing the flavour of the ginger came through and the rhubarb, ahhhh was just delightful on the tongue.
Rhubarb and ginger loaves
Makes 10
Ingredients
260g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
110g caster sugar
140g - 150g fresh rhubarb, chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
284ml buttermilk
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of crystallized or preserved ginger, cut into pieces
Method
Into a large bowl, sift the flour, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt. The stir in the sugar and rhubarb. In another bowl, mix the egg, buttermilk and vegetable oil. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix briefly until just combined. Spoon the batter into the loaf tins, or muffin cups, then sprinkle evenly with the crystallized ginger pieces. Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes, or until well risen and golden. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn into a wire rack. Best eaten on the day.

20 comments:

  1. Wow, I love...no crave Rhubarb!! As a kid my mother made Rhubarb jams, crisps, breads & I adore this fascinating fruit/veggie! Your recipe looks truly wonderful, I love the addition of crystallized ginger. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a creative way to use rhubarb! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rhubarb, what a creative way to use it! The little loaves are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for dropping by my blog. This rhubarb recipe looks delish ... :0)

    Shirl x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also waiting for local rhubarb. These loaves are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every blog is full of rhubarb at the moment! I need to go out and pick mine...

    ReplyDelete
  7. they sounds lovely. great minds...i recently have been making rhubarb and ginger muffins, such nice flavours together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a shame about your rhubarb plant - especially sad as you had grown it from seed. Ginger and rhubarb are a great combination and these loaves sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oohh they sound very scrummy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those rhubarb and ginger loaves look gorgeous! Seems that there are lots of tasty recipes you've got on here so I'll have to spend some time giving it a more thorough rummage. Fingers crossed that the growing in pots works well for you, I look forward to sharing experiences of successes and failures over the coming months!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Dee,
    I'm the opposite when I was growing up I never appreciated the sharp tartness of rhubarb, now its a completely different story.


    Thank you Morgan.
    I picked up two bunches of rhubarb, so have plants on making more sweet delights. Still thinking about the savoury ones, like your recent offering.


    Thank you Janet,
    I agree, they are quite cute :D


    Thank you SO much to you Shirl.


    Thank you Rose.
    You certainly are much more patient than me.


    Rachel,
    Tis the season of rhubarb and asparagus!
    Enjoy your rhubarb.


    Thank you Clare,
    Your right the flavour combo of ginger and rhubarb works really well. I wonder what genius discovredt that originally?!


    Thanks Choclette,
    Yes, I was rather disappointed with myself in stressing, therefore leading to the demise of my rhubarb. I have learned from this experience now, so will never repeat it again.


    Thank you Scented Sweetpeas,
    They are really square muffins! Really light though.


    Thank you so, so much Amy.
    Your comment is most appreciated. I hope I am able to grow enough to keep me ticking over. And I look forward to reading of your experiences too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum! I can't wait for my rhubarb to be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for coming by Veggie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely and imaginative recipe. I just wish I had an allotment to plunder (our names finally reached the top of a North London waiting list, 5 years after we'd signed up, but we'd moved away from the area!). But, your blog has so many delicious recipes to try, regardless. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and it's a pleasure to discover yours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The combination of ginger and rhubarb sounds really good, Mango. My rhubarb is almost ready for picking, but I have to make M a pie first with strawberries for his birthday. It's a tradition. After that, well, rhubarb and ginger, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  16. they look so cute! my crimson rhubarb won't be ready for another month or two i think but when harvesting time comes around i'm definitely going to give this a go! thanks for sharing the recipe :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you So, SO much Laura.
    Like you I wish I had an allotment. I lost mine early this year in a blaze.
    Shame, your name finally reaches the top and you move away. I just hope that where you have moved now, you have space to grow something.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Barbar.
    M is a priority.
    Your comment did make me smile. Its funny rhubarb and strawberry is a classic American combination and in the U.K its rhubarb and ginger. Just made me smile.


    Thank you Cathy.
    I hope your rhubarb rewards you well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What tasty mini loaves!!

    I so love the special combo of rhubarb & ginger!


    MMMMMMMMMMM,....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much Sophie.
    Rhubarb and ginger is such a classic British combination.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You