Thursday, 1 April 2010

Karachi roti or should it be Bhangra roti…

I’ve recently been longing for my mothers cooking, I can’t exactly ask her to nip over for the evening from Wales to Scotland and make me something to eat. Instead the best I can do, is make something myself that has its memories firmly rooted in my childhood.

My mother used to make what we as children dubbed as Karachi Roti, for no reason other than it sounded cool to our teeny weeny ears. Its basically a roti, also known as chappati filled with spiced mince lamb meat and peas. My mother would then roll it up like a tortilla and give us each one whilst it was still warm. My father did not like us eating in this manner, he thought it was a bit tacky, we loved it though. The spiced turmeric buttery juices pouring out and discolouring our clothing if we were not careful. I now make this dish either with Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) mince or this product.
Strange thing, although this filled spiced roti tasted good. I don't think it was as good as it would have been if my mother had cooked it for me with her hands. For a start it would have had the added special ingredient of my mama's love and that’s something you can’t buy or substitute. Alright, alright enough of this soppiness.

What is interesting to note, my mother still makes this now for my nieces and nephews. My nephews now in their teens have aptly renamed it as Bhangra Roti. Bhangra music is something many people in the UK are more in tune with, not me though, I have never liked repetitive beats. Or maybe I'm just getting old. I have to admit I do have some grey hair now.

18 comments:

  1. lovely reading about delicious looking food interwoven with stories from the family kitchen. Dads may not think it correct etiquette by who doesn't love food you can grab and go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks and sounds delicious and I can almost smell it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing ever tastes as good as your Mom made and I don't know why. I've asked my Mom and she just laughs..I don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMMMMM,...looks very tasty indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, comfort food from our childhood. It's amazing what memories certain food stirs up. This sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Nic.
    Fathers eh!

    Thank you Michelle.
    Mothers eh!


    Thank you so much Darlene.


    Thanks Sophie.


    You are so right Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I've put on a pound or two just reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for coming by John. It honestly is lovely to hear from you and ready your comment which made me smile. I guess I should put some kind of hidden clause on my blog. Cook, eat and enjoy, but please - don't blame me if you put on the pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is an amazing photograph! Worthy of a food magazine - it has made me feel hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so yummy, and your story made me smile.
    I love how food can transport us to a different time or place. How wonderful it is that we can be "with" those we love through a family recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Mama.
    Recipes bring good memories, but they also bring some not so good ones. I went to a place in North Berwick with my in-laws a few years ago and had a soup, I can't remember what flavour it was but it tasted like dish water. Ah the joy of memories.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had some Trini split peas roti and curry chana and potato on Friday when relatives came by to visit, yum.

    Your filling sounds very tasty, what spices and seasonings do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kella,
    The Trini split peas roti and channa curry sound ab. delicious.
    These spices and seasoning are all typically South Asian: ground chilli powder, cumin, turmeric, salt, minced onions, fresh ginger and garlic. Tinned tomatoes. Sometimes one fresh green chilli (optional)minced. I don't have recipe for this one as I just make it to eye and taste. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. mangocheeks, thanks for the spice tips.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks and sounds oh so yummy! I loved reading your childhood story and you just made me smile:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your so welcome Kella.

    Thank you Oraphan :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bhangra roti ... I like that name!
    Is your mom from Pakistan?

    ReplyDelete
  18. My cultural heritage is in the Indian sub-continent. But I like to tell people, I have roots in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh ;)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You