Friday, 16 April 2010

Wild garlic, potato, feta and pine nut quiche

Hey, I'm not done with the 'wild garlic' recipes yet. Here's another one. Salty from the feta, nutty from the pine-nuts and herby from the greens. The more I become acquainted with the flavour of wild garlic, the more I am persuaded its taste like strong chives and less of garlic.
This quiche sliced beautifully too. It would be a lovely one for a picnic too. Serve with a light salad and perhaps some sliced red onions.
Wild garlic, potato, feta and pine nut quiche
Serves 4 - 6
For the pastry (this will line a 8 – 9 inch tart tin)
120g plain flour
Pinch of salt
60g cold unsalted butter, diced
2 – 3 tablespoons cold water
For the filling
300g firm potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
100g – 150g wild garlic leaves and stalks if tender
200g feta cheese, crumbled
3 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted
4 medium eggs
150ml single cream
Pepper to taste
For the pastry
I made my pastry by hand, but for ease you can also use a food processor. Put the flour, pinch of salt and butter in the food processor and pulse until you get a fine crumb texture. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and gently work in the water to form a soft dough. Wrap it in cling film and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes. Roll the pastry out thin enough to line the base and sides of the tin. Carefully lift the pastry into the tin , press it into the sides and trim off any excess. Prick the pastry all over with a fork and put it back in the fridge for another 30 minutes. Preheat oven to gas mark 4. Blind bake the pastry until firm and lightly coloured.
For the filling
Cook the sliced potatoes in boiling water until just tender, drain well and set aside. Drop in the wild garlic into the boiling water for 30 seconds, then remove and cool. Squeeze the garlic of water and chop it roughly. Combine the feta and pine nuts. Beat the eggs lightly with the cream. Season lightly with pepper. Place a layer of the wild garlic in the pastry shell and then cover it with a layer of potato slices. Repeat the layers, then pour in the egg mixture, allowing it to seep down through the layers. Bake the tart for 30 minutes, until it is set and the top is lightly coloured. Adapted from Denis Cotters Wild Garlic, Gooseberries...and me.


  1. This recipe (and photo) is making me drool! I am off dairy for a couple of weeks, but when I can have it, this is going to be the first thing I make...

  2. That really looks divine! I love quiche but my husband isn't a huge fan so I don't make them as often as I might otherwise. Great photos!

  3. Oh my goodness! I think THIS is what I'm going to make with my wild garlic! Stunning! Now what I really need to is find out where I can pick my own wild garlic... I mean, it seems silly to BUY something that's known for growing so well in the wild. And that walnut pesto you posted would be a great way to preserve some of the wild garlic when the season is through.

  4. Thank you Shannon.

    Instead of calling it a quiche, call it a tart. Your husband may just look at it with different eyes :D

    Where I am, we dont often see wild garlic at the grocers, so it it really a treat to forage for your own. I really recommend the wild garlic pesto. Its so versatile too!

  5. Another great way of using that wild garlic. Your photos are wonderful.

  6. Hi and thanks for stopping by my blog earlier this week. I have just been completely engrossed with all your posts about wild garlic, a joy to read and totally mouthwatering. I lived in the South West of England for a few years and I remember driving through the lanes in April and May with the windows open and the overwhelming and wonderful scent of wild garlic filling the air. A real scent of early summer.

  7. Mmmmmmm, lovely, now we just need to go on a picnic. I have been eyeing up the picnic hampers in BHS actually.

  8. This looks so good. I had never heard of wild garlic before I read about it here. Thanks! Peace, Stephanie

  9. This quiche is a stunner and a wonderful way to use wild garlic. I stumbled on your blog by chance and had intended only to say hello. I instead found myself reading prior posts and liking them as much as this one. I really like the food you prepare here. I'll be back often. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

  10. Thank you so much for repaying the compliment and coming by :D I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed the posts on wild garlic. I was so fortunate to have found some this year :D
    Wild garlic certainly is the beginning to other 'wild free food'. I agree with you that it is also a sign that Summer is on the way.

    Thank you Jacqueline.
    I haven't been into the city shops for awhile, may have to check this picnic hamper you talk of.

    Thank you Stephanie. It is my honour to share what I learn about food, including 'wild free food'.

    Thank you so, so much for your lovely words Marcy. It has filled me with warmth. I wish you could see my smile - I am actually showing my teeth :D

  11. Just wanted to let you know I just made this sans crust, fritatta-style, and it was SUPERB (I see you did something similar - I love your mini fritattas). My only wish is that I had some pine nuts. Oh well, it was still wonderful - potato is delicious with wild garlic! I'd like to try this again with sweet potato maybe. I love the simplicity of this dish. The garlic is flavorful enough on its own, and the feta is the perfect cheese to go with it. I am looking forward to the leftovers!

  12. Oh Monica,
    Thank you so much for coming by and telling me about your dish. Sounds lovely. I like the idea of sweet potatoes. Your right the wild garlic is really flavourful.

  13. Your welcome. I just enjoyed some of the leftovers while posting pics on my blog. Still delicious. Thanks again.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You