Monday, 5 April 2010

Sunken scones

Earlier this afternoon, D was checking the biscuit and cake tins in the kitchen, muttering under his breath 'I fancy something sweet'. He was actually looking for some chocolate. Neither of us participate in the exchange of chocolate Easter eggs, so there were no surprise chocolate appearances in the flat.

It then occurred to me that I hadn't made anything sweet in the last week or so. No muffins, cupcakes or flapjacks as I had been poorly myself. So beckoned to his wish. I remembered seeing some frozen raspberries (along with some blackcurrants) in the freezer picked from the allotment last year, so I decided to make some raspberry scones. As I stirred in the frozen raspberries, the scent it gave off was really lovely, just like a fairytale Princesses perfume. Anyway, enough of this daydream. I placed the sticky oozy scones on a baking tray and into the oven and waited patiently for 20 to 25 minutes.
It was only when I got them out of the oven, I realised I had done something wrong. I remembered I had forgot to add baking powder to make them rise, as they were rather flat.
But no worries, this is easily rectified. Just cut the scones open and fill generously with some whipped cream, and its height is dramatically raised. Despite this oversight, the raspberry scones were good. D was happy to go for a second and a third.


  1. They look wonderful. I may have to bake something today now that you have my mouth watering. Hope your Easter was a good one.

  2. Your so kind Catsngrams.
    I had a quiet, yet very good weekend. Back to work tomorrow though :(
    but it'll be a short week :)

  3. I think whipped cream is a brilliant rising agent, Mango! Those scones look lovely. And I love the photos of your Easter outing — I'm such an armchair traveler. ;-)

  4. Those scones are looking mouthwatering indeed. I love raspberries :)

  5. Those look like what Americans call biscuits--only better due to the berries...

  6. Ah the forgotten baking powder scenario, I have certainly been there and done that.

    Hope your week back out to work isn't to stressful.

  7. Those sound delicious & look wonderful. The lack of baking powder does not seem to have hurt them much.

  8. It doesn't always happen, but sometimes mistakes lead to something better. Like whipped cream! Sounds delicious. It's so nice when that happens.

  9. Lovely looking scones. Clicks are tempting and has made me crave for some scones now :):)

  10. They look lovely,..Can we get the recipe????

    MMMMMM,....I hope you & your loved one had a happy easter??

  11. I bet they were tasty anyway! in fact, I did the same thing once, reached for the jar with ground rice instead of the jar with baking powder!

  12. They look gorgeous. I can almost taste them! Karen x

  13. From the ashes of disaster rise the roses of success or in this case delicious scones!I must admit I would have binned them in frustration!

  14. lol love the way you sorted out this issue by adding extra cream etc - what a fab idea :-) yum!

  15. I love any scones, and raspberry sounds yummy, even if they were lacking in stature ;)

  16. That's what you call a gorgeous mistake ;-)

  17. THat's what you call a gorgeous mistake ;-)

  18. THat's what you call a gorgeous mistake ;-)

  19. That's a good excuse to fill with plenty of cream. They still look good though.

  20. Thank you Barbara.
    Whipped cream is a super rising agent :D

    the raspberries, although frozen certainly were tasty.

    Thanks Kella,
    I have to admit this is the first time it has happened to me, but I am glad as it wasn't so bad at all. It'll be a short working week :D

    I would have called them biscuits but they were soft on the inside :D so they wouldn't be accepted in the U.K as biscuits or cookies.

    They turned out not too bad at all :D

    Hi Jenny,
    Thank you so much for coming by. Your right - whipped cream!

    I am so pleased you like the photographs.

    Thank you Sophie.
    We had a lovely weekend.
    Your not serious about the recipe are you?! :D

    Ground rice in place of baking powder. I wonder how that was?!

    Karen, they were pretty good. I still have some in the cake tin. Would you like one? with whipped cream of course!

    Thank you Peggy,
    I wouldn't have binned them, but fed them to the birds :D they would have appreciated them.

    Thank you Scented Sweetpeas :D

    Thank you Rachel. I was happy to eat these myself and with my husband, but I think I would have been a little embarrassed sharing them with friends.

    Grapefruit. I didn't know whether to print all three comments or if it was a deliberate gorgeous mistake, so I thought i'd post all 3 of your comments :D

    Thank you Jo. Yeah - lashings of cream, please do indulge with me.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You