Friday, 23 April 2010

Ruby Chard 'Heart' Tart

A relatively quick and lazy evening meal today. Its been a long busy week at work and I just want to enjoy the rest of the evening. I can potter around a bit more in the kitchen this weekend, if I so wish.
This is the tender Ruby chard that I had picked up from the Pillars of Hercules early this week. The deep red blood like veins are really striking.
Recently, fellow blogger Alessandra commented on my blog about the taste of Swiss chard. I have to be honest and had not thought there was much difference in the taste from one chard to another, but actually the more I thought about it, I convinced myself there really was. I find the ruby chard flavour a bit earthy, almost like beetroot. The green variety like spinach, the silverline (white) chard a little like celery and the canary yellow - oh I can't remember.
Anyway, I decided to roll and shape the puff pastry into the shape of a heart. No romantic reasons behind - good job - after all who wants to cut a whole heart into pieces?! Certainly not me, my days of breaking hearts is well over. I have only one heart to hold close.
Ruby Chard Heart Tart
Serves 2
Ingredients
250g puff pastry, rolled out and cut into a heart shape if you so wish
100g - 150g ruby chard, cooked for 3 minutes in boiling water then drained and spread onto the pastry. Sprinkle with 75g - 100g feta cheese, crumbled. Season with pepper and bake in oven gas mark 6 for 25- 30 minutes.

15 comments:

  1. YUMMY!!! I have to try this recipe. I'm thinking something in the middle like tomato sauce and mozzarella! Or maybe even chocolate!!! Oh yum! I'm so hungry now. Thanks;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks really pretty. I grew a load of Bright Lights Swiss Chard last year and we quickly decided that we really didn't like it :-(

    Pity - its SO pretty I wanted to love it !

    I've recently tried chicory for the first time (raw) and really really struggled with it. Perhaps it's better cooked, but I found it so unpalatable that I doubt I'll ever try :embarrassed:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mangocheeks,

    I am not growing any cabbage so i bought some yesterday to try the january king dish. can't wait.

    Also i have just read this post and will try this one too.

    my husband is a carnivore and does not think he has had a meal without meat!!!! However, he works away in the week so i am very much freed up on the now meal front and am naturally turning to more vegetarian options. So your blog is a god send with all these wonderful recipes.

    have a lovely weekend.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Alyssa.
    I like the sound of the tomato and mozzarella combo. Chocolate sounds interesting though!


    Thanks Sarah-Jane.
    I'm sorry to read your family decided that they didn't like Bright Lights Chard. You should have just kept it for ornamental value, if not for consumption :( Shame, but you can't like everything you eat.

    I've tried chicory in the past and like you, not keen on it. May have to give it another go - cooked of course.


    GreenFlag.
    I am so pleased you like my recipes enought ot make them. Thank you so much.
    I do hope you enjoy the cabbgae tagliatelle dish :D Enjoy your vegetable dishes while your husbands away, but do enjoy some with him too :D
    You have a lovely weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waw!! What a georgous swiss chard tarte!

    Yummmmm,..I so love it! Lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely simple recipe with a great presentation. Not desperately keen on chard myself, but it's such a robust plant that yields well that we tend to grow it anyway. I can see that chocolate might improve it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Chocolette.
    Shame you don't enjoy eating chard, but its nice to know your still growing it.
    I'm intrigued now - how do you think chocolate may improve it, as I may just try it the next time I make it.


    Thanks HayMarket8.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mangocheeks you are such a romantic, "I have only one heart to hold close" made me smile.

    Great recipe by the way.

    Hey! guess what the Word Verification is; foodi :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww Thanks Kella.
    I guess deep down I am, just don't show it much.
    Some of the word verifications are funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mangocheeks - can't chocolate improve anything? To be serious, I thought it would go well with the earthy flavour of chard - just a hunch I haven't tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Choclette,
    I'm a person who enjoys her chocolate when I have cravings, but I think there may be something in your hunch. If I remember, I May give it a go sometime :D

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You