Monday, 10 August 2009

‘oh it’s hard work eating all these strawberries’

says D jokingly.
These are the remaining strawberries from Saturday, that were baked into strawberry almond slices early this afternoon. The bottom is like compact crumble and the top is soft sponge cake like. I think it is one that you will like. I am already planning to make it again later this week with some of the blackcurrants I have.
My nephew even took a second and a third helping! Though not all at the same time.
Strawberry almond slices
150g self-raising flour
150g plain flour
150g caster sugar
125g margarine, chopped
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
180ml milk
1 egg, beaten lightly
100g fresh strawberries, chopped in half
20g flaked almonds
I made this the old fashioned way, with my hands in a large bowl, but you could do it in a food processor. In a food processor, put in the flours, butter and sugar until the mixture is fine. Press 300g of the mixture into the base of the prepared pan. Place the remaining mixture in a medium bowl, stir in the soda, milk and egg. Pour over base, top with berries, sprinkle with flaked almonds. Bake on Gas mark 5 for about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool, before cutting.

Recipes adapted from The Australian Women's Weekly biscuit and slices mini series


  1. It is probably not difficult to eat strawberries when they are used in these slices! :)

  2. I'll be more than happy to do the hard work of eating your strawberry creations :)

  3. Mangocheeks, you are an example to us all: heroically forcing down those strawberries to save them going to waste. I don't know how you do it...

  4. Wow, you have been so busy! Everything looks wonderful.
    Sorry to read you are still having thieving issues, I hate those people.

  5. Hi Karine,
    Welcome and Thank you so much for your lovely comment.

    Thank you so much Kella.

    Yay droolingvegetable,
    You know it is always a pleasure having you over. Thank you for Always bringing a smile to my face.

  6. Hello Nicisme,
    I have been, haven't I?!
    Thank you for your kind comments. Really means a lot.

  7. Those look so yummy! Thanks for checking out my blog! You have awesme food and fressh gardening going on. Im following you now! I cant wait to make these.

  8. Thank you so much Jenn.
    I so love your blog and really really envious of those chillies.

  9. You are quite the talented baker! This looks amazing!

  10. Oh Michele,
    I wish I was, but I am not that great at baking. Look at you - Baba au Rhum. Now that is skill. I only do simple sweet bakes: traybakes, muffins and fairy cakes.

    I have a long way to go before I can wear the 'Baker' title.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You