Monday, 12 March 2012

Cardiff Millennium Stadium Mosaic

At the weekend I unexpectedly found myself in Cardiff, I may share with you the reason why  perhaps some other time.  But whilst there on this glorious sunny day, I wandered the High Street briefly, and then on over to the Riverside.
This is the Cardiff Millennium Stadium.  As any tourist we have a tendency to look up at the architecture.  However, as there are lots of pictures on the Internet of the Millennium Stadium building, I thought I'd show what you see when you look down at your feet. 
On the river walkway, you will note tile mosaic floor panels of participating nations. 
 I begin of course with Cymru Wales.  I hope you enjoy the others.
We also wandered the Riverside Farmers Market known more locally as the Riverside Community Markets Association (RCMA).   The RCMA  is a local social enterprise that provides grassroots local producers an opportunity to trade directly with the public.  It was established in 1998 and is the biggest in Wales.  I was really, really impressed with the number of seasonal and fresh vegetable stalls there; as well as vegetarian and vegan stalls, but more about that in the near future.  For more of my blog posts on Cardiff see here.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment over at mine Shaheen. I have sent you an email. I'm glad you are enjoying your move to Wales, although you obviously know it well from your family connections. The mosaics are fascinating. I've only been to Cardiff a couple of times, but will look out for them whenever we go there next. Ann x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann.
      will check my e mails in a little while.

      Cardiff has changed massively. I remember it when there was no Millennium Stadium and the High Street a bit on the grubby side, such a vast improvement.

      Delete
  2. I've never been to Cardiff, which is daft since I used to live in the Welsh borders, but those mosaics are so lovely that I'm almost tempted to get on a train! Looking forwards to hearing about the vegetarian stalls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before you get on the train, check out when the Riverside Market is on, as I don't think its every week. You don't want to turn up and be disappointed now, do you :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Me too Mark,
      More about that in the future. Promise. Cardiff has so much going on now than it ever has, really positive that is makes me believe that I may be able to hone in on some of my own skills and do something. Who knows, let's see.
      Good to hear from you, by the way did you get my e mail?

      x

      Delete
  4. I lived in Cardiff for three years and never saw those mosaic! Shows how much I stuck to the studenty bits! I went to the Millenium stadium once to see Cardiff lose to Swansea Uni (sad times!) at rugby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryallen,
      Totally understand - when I was a student in Glasgow, stayed within the Uni zone and explored outwith rarely. I am looking at Wales with new fresh eyes. When I was growing up here in SWales, I always thought it was a bit of a dump, but now having lived other places - well its not that different really.

      Delete
  5. You are very fortunate to live where you do. I hope things work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much e.
      I am looking to change my career, but let us see what happens. Jobs in HR without a CIPD qualification are just not happening for me at the moment. I feel there are some opportunities here for me that I may be able to tap into. Watch this space.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing the mosaics. I had to chuckle when I saw fries above the American flag. That and Mickey Mouse ......what a legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hobbit.
      I chuckled at the Scottish one - did you see the haggis.

      Delete
  7. Wales is definitely on my bucket list, I would love to see it someday. Great post! And thanks too for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Food Dude - esp. for repaying the compliment by coming by.

      Delete
  8. We were in Cardiff for a visit a few weeks ago, stayed in a hotel across the road from the stadium. Loved our visit and hope to go again at some point this year.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've not had the pleasure of visiting Cardiff but it sounds a groovy place from what I've heard from my friends at Bridgend, they mentioned the market you speak of. Wow I love the mosaics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Deri.
      Thanks for today too, I really enjoyed it and it was a very insightful experience. See you again, very soon I hope.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You