Thursday, 22 March 2012

Almond and Date Milk

The past week or so my stomach has been feeling a little tender, so much so that I have not wanted to aggravate it further by drinking espresso, coffee or acidic juice in the morning.  I was ready to go out an get myself some fruit to make a smoothie, but whilst I was over my parents home for mothering Sunday, my mother reminded me of a almond drink she used to make for us when we were children known popularly as: Badam -Khajoor ka Dooj, an almond drink flavoured with fresh dates. 
This almond drink is not quite a lassi - the original smoothie, but thereabouts.  Well I was prompted to make some.  It has been a good, filling, naturally creamy and nourishing alternative drink and very calming on the tummy.
This is not really a recipe, as you make it to taste.  But this is what my mother told me to do in order to make one very large glass. 
Badam and Khajoor Dooj (Almond and Date Milk)
Ingredients and Method
Soak 10 raw almonds in some water overnight
Following day, rinse and remove the almond skin, it should slip off easily.  If not, soak in some hot water, rinse and try again.  When the almond skin has been removed.  Place in a blender with a large glass of water* and a couple of dates and blitz until very smooth.   Pour into a large glass.  I like my almond drink to have a bit of bitty texture from the almonds and dates, but if you don't like the idea of crunchy sweet bits sticking to your teeth, then just use a tea strainer to remove. 
Enjoy immediately, or chill and consume on the day as the liquid will separates from the almonds and dates. 
This drink is completely vegan*, but you can half and half it with dairy milk, coconut milk or soya milk.  For the sweetener, you can use honey, maple syrup, golden syrup, even sugar... I guess in you can also replace the almonds with cashew nuts, but I have never done so, so cannot vouch for the flavour.  I am sharing this recipe with Frugal Follies who is hosting Frugal Thurday and  Ricki at Diet, Dessert, Dogs for her Wellness Weekend: 22nd - 26th March.
 

Oh so your know, I have been making this drink on and off all week. I have also decided to freeze some of the excess in my umbrella lollipop moulds. It will not be a traditional almond kulfi's, but I know upon licking one, it will remind me of them and for a fraction of the price too. 

28 comments:

  1. What a brilliant recipe, and highly appealing because one of the things that has put me off making almond milk is that you discard the soaked almonds after draining them of liquid. Such a waste! I like this version much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Thanks Kari.
      I will let my mother know.

      Delete
  2. Hope the smoothie fixed the tummy problem? Ominous?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magnolia,
      Nothing ominous I assure you. I have a stomach ulcer. It plays up now and again, esp. when stressed, eating too rich a food, in my case spicy food or surrounded by smokers. all of these are to blame at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Shaheen, this badam wala dudh is on my list for so long....(u know how some things U use to eat & for no reason they are not in your regular menus now)wanted my daughters to try it but I really doubt, but wait.... that means, we both will get to finish it ;)

    hope u are settled & all the unpacking is done....yeah I'm here after long time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Spice,
      So good to hear from you. It has been a while.
      There are so many such recipes on blogosphere, I worry people might claim its there recipe. But we know its part of the South Asian tradition. I like your ref: Badam Wala Dudh, I think that is mroe appropriate. Your right, we forget some simple foods from our childhood. I am so happy my mother is reminding me of such foodie memories, esp. those I enjoyed. Try making it as a lolly for your daughters, they may be persuaded.

      Delete
  4. I have seen sweetened almond milk before but not in small and simple amounts like this - and I love that it is a family recipe too - hope your stomach settles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna,
      Yeah blogosphere is full of sweetened almond milk recipes, this one sure belongs to my mother and now I guess me - yeah i guess it is a family recipe :) I will have to nudge my mother for larger quantity recipe for this if nec, but for now this will suffice.

      Delete
  5. Here, we drink a lot of mate (an iffussion with yerba mate) and it's delicious but time to time it keeck just in the stomacHere in Argentina, we drink a lot of mate (an infusion with yerba mate) and it's delicious but it's very often that time to time it kicks you just in the stomac. Your drink is a very interesting opcion and healthier for the breakfast.. Your drink is a very interesting opcion and helthier for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronica.
      I'd be interested in seeing this Yerba Mate infusion drink on your blog one of these days :)You got me intrigued.

      Delete
  6. Oh, what a fabulous idea! I'm going to make some for Betsy. I'm always wanting her to eat dates because they are so good for her, but I don't want the sticky date sitting on her teeth. This is a great way she could drink it! -Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, Its so good to hear from you my dearest friend.
      Please do make some for Betsy and of course, feel free to strain out the almonds and dates :) Would love to see a pic of her drinking some. Hope you are well, I think of you often. And imagine what Betsy would be like around me: a chatty madam no doubt :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds delicious! I love almond anything and I've got some dates in the pantry. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do Lauren. I really like it and its so naturally creamy too. Let me know how you find it.

      Delete
  8. That sounds like such a soothing drink for the stomach. I'll have to try making this someday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grateful for this, as I eat both regularly as a snack. I buy almond milk too, but this sounds more nutritious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi-Hoe. It really is good - without milk or with - its your choice.

      Delete
  10. Hi Shaheen,

    Hope the almond milk is doing the trick and your stomach is feeling more settled.

    I had never heard of this drink before so thanks so much for sharing your mother’s recipe-and, of course a big thank you to your mum for providing it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dragonette,
      Def. much better.
      I will let my mother know, it will make her smile, such a simple recipe that is often taken for granted because of its simplicity.

      Delete
  11. Something new to try. It looks so appealing too. Hope you tummy is feeling happier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqueline, its much better.

      Delete
  12. Shaheen - this post might well influence the naming of a beautiful newborn filly in Ontario, Canada. The name must begin with "A" (it is a naming convention with the Hannoverian breed) and the owner was thinking "Almond" for the common name (we typically have a fancy registered/show name as well). I saw your post and smiled - I am not religious or superstitious but it still felt like a sign.

    I haven't properly visited in way too long (work and personal life both having issues!) but I'm still keeping and eye on your posts, albeit a quick eye.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks RuckusButt,
    Its okay about not visiting properly, I am finding it hard to fit in time now with both blogging and catching up with blog reads. We have guests coming over to holiday as we are still settling in, we are both hunting for employment since moving here (nothing on the cards, for me anyway), time is also dedicated to family too... so I understand of distractions.

    Like the idea of a newborn filly being named Almond. Must be a sign :) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that I actually prefer almond milk to normal milk. I used to drink it all the time when I lived in California but I can't seem to find it anywhere in England! I never knew it was so simple to make. Love the flavour of dates with this too! Very comforting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel.
      I don't drink much normal milk. Tend to use it only only for baking recipes.

      I do recall seeing Almond milk in the supermarkets here, but still I'd recommend making your own - you've seen how easy it is.

      Delete
  15. My tummy is upset because of local allergy season and this beverage sounds so appealing. And . . I have the ingredients! Thanks for sharing on Wellness Weekend where I found your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. sounds nice! another recipe i need to try, like i mentioned, i'm trying to cut down on my dairy intake and finding substitutes that is enjoyable is so hard. for baking and cooking soy- or oat-milk is alright, possibly almond- or hazelnut-milk too, but for having in your tea... no way. but perhaps actually making your own almond milk is better and tastier?

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You