Tuesday, 20 December 2016

vegan Welsh Savoury Pancakes - Christmas Crempog Las

D said 'Is that supposed to look like a Christmas tree?
' Just take the picture' I told him.

Of course he is right, but lets not give him the satisfaction of knowing that.
This is a savoury and vegan take on Welsh Pancakes known as Crempog Las.  Crempog are more akin to American style pancakes in that they are thicker and a bigger than a blini and even pikelets. Crempog are often cooked on a Welsh griddle bakestone, which I am fortunate to own. There has been speculation in recent times that the word Crempog is a derivation of the word crumpet. I'm also quite  intrigued by the Las bit, as Lassi means savoury in Urdu, Punjabi and Hindi. Crempog is not the only word in Welsh to describe pancakes, there is also Ffroes, Cramwythen and Pancogen.

Anyway, top off these green Christmas Crempog Las in style with some homemade Welsh caviar; or failing that some cream cheese or cheese. 
I am sharing these vegan Welsh Savoury Crempog Las  with Gluten Free Fridays and also Treat Petite.  If you have any other green recipes please do share with #Eat Your Greens hosted by The VegHogthe rules are here My Legume Love Affair that was started by The Well Seasoned Cook and now administed by Lisa's Kitchen.  this month is is hosted by The VegHog Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition. and finally The Food Calendar with Charlottes Lively Kitchen - Celebrating Christmas!




Welsh Savoury Pancakes - Crempog Las
Ingredients
Makes a Lot
375ml water
100g fresh spinach
275g chickpea flour aka gram flour aka besan
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

Olive or vegetable to shallow fry
Method
In a food processor puree the spinach with some of the water. Set aside
In a wide bowl, sift the flour, salt and baking powder. 
Stir well, then slowly pour and stir in the spinach puree, then pour in the remaining water whisking all the time until well combined and a thick consistency is reached.  T
Allow to sit for a minimum of 20 minutes before using.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wide pan, heat then using a small ladle pour some batter into the pan.  
You should be able to pour/make 6 in the pan.  
Cook gently over medium to high heat, when bubbles begin to surface, flip the pancake over to cook on the other side for a couple of minutes.  
Transfer to a plate and continue until all the batter is finished.  
These can be reheated, but are best enjoyed warm.
You can find other  Welsh Pancakes - Crempog recipes below
Traditional Welsh Pancakes: Sweet and Savoury
Welsh Crempog from Visit Wales

26 comments:

  1. I love your Christmas tree, very original xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you piled them to form a Christmas tree. :)
    These pancakes are so cute!

    VEGETARIAN COURTESYFACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course it is a christmas tree - love your presentation and am sure these would taste great - also find your discussion of language really interesting (do you speak welsh?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna :) I am learning Welsh.

      Delete
  4. I thought to myeelf, what a lovely Christmas tree display, before I saw the text. I think it's lovely. Spinach pancakes are really traditional food in Finland, we even had them often as school dinners. I thought recently that I should blog the recipe, so maybe I will do now inspired by you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog. I look forward to seeing the Finnish version of spinach pancakes on your blog.

      Delete
  5. I do think that top pic resembles a tree, Shaheen, lol...I think you should tell the hubby too:)

    I would LOVE to taste your Welsh Pancakes. I doubt I will be making them though. I don't have the special griddle.

    Thanks for sharing, Shaheen...

    I wanted to take a moment to thank you for sharing your recipes on your blog these past years, Shaheen. It's been so nice getting to know you. I won't be blogging aymore but I did do one last post to my blog tonight with a short update. Have a very merry Christmas, Shaheen and a Healthy, Safe and Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Louise. I will tell D that esp. as everyone on the post has agreed with me too :)

      Oh You don't need a special griddle, I have one so use it but you could easily use a frying pan, i will update my blog post as I want many people to make these at home.

      Your so kind and I am honestly humbled that you have visited and commented on my blog esp as your blog is so so popular and always receiving so many comments that you still found time to come to mine. Thank you. I will miss your blogging, but life is more important than blogging indeed x I will come by your blog and say more x

      Delete
  6. Love the green and yes, it looks like a Christmas tree!!! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this with MLLA, this is a very good recipe for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you VegHog, it occurred to me afterward this is good for MLLA as it has chickpeas flour.

      Delete
  8. I saw these on social media earlier..... A Christmas tree without any question!
    Loving the recipe too..... bookmarked and making for sure (we are big spinach lovers here). Have a fantastic Christmas xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katex
      I do hope you enjoy and these can be made in a frying pan, not just a special griddle pan used often for welsh cakes. You have a fantastic Christmas too, I have lots of presents from D under the tree - spoiled again by him x

      Delete
  9. It definitely looks exactly like a Christmas tree! I've never had savory pancakes before so these look like something I definitely want to try.

    Wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you Mary Ellen - I hope you get to try savoury pancakes in 2017

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very festive way of presenting the pancakes! I've never heard of them before but I would love to try them. Thank you for linking up to Treat Petite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my resolutions for next year is to cook more Welsh food as I know hardly any traditional recipes and feel I should as I've lived here for a while now and plan on being here for a lot longer yet. These pancakes sound delicious and really healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a good resolution Charlotte and better than a diet :) Look forward to reading them. Have a Happy New Year.

      Delete
  13. Oh how cute! I love your Christmas tree pancakes =) Green to boot. Hope you had a great holiday Shaheen!
    Thanks so much for sharing at Healthy Vegan Fridays. I'm pinning & sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimmy. I had a quiet, lazy and relaxing holiday and am looking forward to the long w/e.

      Delete
  14. Very attractive, the arrangement! I used to participate in MLLA ages ago with zest and hosted it too, blog only in fits and bursts with long intervals these days. Saw your comment in my blog only today.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You