Friday, 30 December 2016

Black Beluga Lentil Salad with Avocado

This Beluga Lentil Salad with Avocado was stitched together with what I had at home and in the fridge.  I had cooked way too much  beluga lentils for another dish that I had plenty to create another dish, otherwise it may have just gone to waste in the fridge.

I like beluga lentils for the same reason I like Puy lentils, both stay firm and do not lose its space capsule shape.  Beluga lentils are black and Puy Lentils are a dark olive green often with speckles.  Though similar in appearance I can vouch that they taste different. 
I like the colours in this Black Beluga Lentil Salad.  Its a winter salad but with festive colours - bold green and red. The avocado was an afterthought really, I had picked it up to make a guacamole dip, but was getting concerned that it may have become too soft and therefore ready for the compost bin, but when I sliced it, I was pleased that it was perfectly ripe. The avocado slices provided a nice natural buttery contrast to the nutty be beluga lentils and sweet crunch from the peppers and red onion. The is a zing from the jalapeno juice. 
By the way these are generous bowls of salads, not those measly portions you find at supermarkets and far more tastier I think. Its one of those salads you may need a spork to eat with - you know fork and spoon in one!



I am sharing this Black Beluga Lentil Salad with Avocados with Soups, Salads and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchen  Elizabeths's Kitchen for No Waste Food Challenge; and finally with his with Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition - if this salad is not healthy, then I don't know what is. 
Beluga Lentil Salad with Avocado
Serves 2 or 4 as an accompaniment
Ingredients 
100g beluga lentils, cooked and drained and set aside
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 red onion, finely sliced, then minced
1 red pepper, sliced small
1 green pepper, sliced small
2 tablespoons jalapeno from a jar plus 4 tablespoons juice from jar
15g fresh coriander, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 avocados
MethodIn a bowl, whisk the oil, spices jalapeno juices.
Then stir in the remaining ingredients except for the avocado.
Season to taste
Allow to sit for an hour or so or overnight in the fridge before serving.
When ready to serve, peel and sliced the avocados and top off the salad.
Eat immediately
Serve at room temperature

12 comments:

  1. That looks really delicious. I love lentils of all types, this is so simple but I know I'd be tempted to nip back to the fridge for another sporkful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      Yes, nip back to the fridge for a sporkful!

      Delete
  2. Beluga lentils are my favorite and this salad looks amazing with that ripe, buttery avocado. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. Happy New Year! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. I've had fun joining in Souper Sundays and hope to participate as much as i can come 2017.
      Happy New Year to you too and thank you for being a fabulous host.

      Delete
  3. I love a good lentil recipe - it's the one thing I know I'll never run out of. I think the avocado makes it for me - I know the contrasting textures would be so good together, and anything with jalapenos in always wins my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey. So true, so many lentil recipes...
      The jalapenos really add zing to this salad, without it something would be lacking.

      Delete
  4. I love lentils and I am so intrigued by these black beluga ones! I've never heard of these before and they sound lovely! Gorgeous recipe too! Thanks for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, this really was yummy with the addition of the jalapeno peppers.

      Delete
  5. I love beluga lentils too! I used them for some lentil tarts for Thanksgiving and they came out really good. I think I also like them because them remind me of the whale and I love sea creatures. :)

    What a great looking recipe- so healthy for the new year! I bet they'd be great to take to work too.

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mary Ellen, i was amused to read what the beluga lentils remind you of = sea creatures, pretty amazing!

      Delete
  6. I also love black beluga lentils! I only discovered them fairly recently and was pleasantly surprised at their firmness after cooking them (as I'm used to red lentils and how they fall apart). They are so great for salads. This salad sounds like a nice salad for the cooler months, perfect for me for right now. I like the addition of the perfectly ripe avo too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing, i need to make more salad dishes with them for work.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You