Friday, 16 December 2016

Vegan Kimchi Seitan Sausages

I've been playing around with seitan sausages since 2010 when I was given some vital wheat gluten by a fellow blogger, fast forward 5 years later I have been able to get hold of it mostly from independent health stores and its often the Suma brand.

I am still not overly enamoured by the faux meatiness, sometimes I find the texture a little disturbing, but D does not mind it at all.  His favourites seitan faux 'meats' are the vegan Pepperoni and the ever popular Chorizo, but I do like to try and make other variations.  
Last Christmas, D my husband gave me a copy of Vegan Finger Food.  Recently I have been sitting with it most evenings trying to get inspired for Christmas and have a few recipes bookmarked to try.  However the one that leaped out to me to make first was the Kimchi Stuffed Sausages.  I have a jar of homemade vegan kimchi in the fridge and I have been looking for creative ways to make the most of it and this recipe inspiration was most welcomed.  
However, I did adapt and tweak the recipe. I have a high tolerance of spicy food I added generous amounts of gochujang and gochugaru to the mixture.  I also did not stuff the sausages, instead I incorporated the kimchi into the seitan mixture.  The sausages were a lot softer than those I made in the past which are often made in the oven, whereas these were steamed. These were also a little sweet and spicy.  We had them mostly as an accompaniment to meals, I simply sliced them and sauteed them in a little olive oil.  One of the dishes we had was Cream Cheese Kimchi Bagels.  I am sharing this with Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition.



Kimchi Seitan Sausages
Makes 6 - 7
Ingredients
110g firm tofu, drained of excess liquid or mashed white beans
225g drained homemade or shop bought vegan kimchi
120ml vegetable stock
2 tablespoon gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
1 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoons Tamari
2 - 4 teaspoons gochugaru (Korean chilli flakes) 
1 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon salt
220g vital wheat gluten
30g nutritional yeast flakes
Method
Tear  off 6 to 7 pieces of foil about 8 inches wide each. 

In a blender, add the tofu, kimchi, stock, tomato sauce, tamari and spices and blend until smooth.
In a wide bowl stir together the vital wheat powder and yeast.

Make well in dry ingredients and pour in spiced tofu mixture, stir well with rubber spatula until dough leaves side of the bowl. 
Knead for 3 minutes and allow to rest for 10 minutes. 
Knead again for a couple of minutes.
Divide dough into 6 or 7 equal pieces. 
Place piece of kimchi seitan on foil and shape into sausages about 6 inches long. 
Bring wide ends of foil together and wrap firmly around the dough. 
Leave a little room under the foil for the seitan sausage to expand during steaming. 
Twist ends of foil to secure filling. 
Repeat with the remaining pieces.
Place each directly into a steamer and steam 1 1/2 hours.
Allow to cool for an hour before using, or for best results chill overnight. 
Store it in fridge tightly sealed or freeze.
To use, slice or chop and fry before adding to your recipe.

Kimchi Cream Cheese Bage

Adapted from Millenium Cookbook: Extraordinary Cuisine Spicy Fennel Seitan Sausages, Vegan Latina Chorizo Sausages and Vegan Finger Food Kimchi Stuffed Sausages.  You can find the review of the cookbook Vegan Fingerfood here

8 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I love kimchi and so does my husband so we'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Ellen. I hope you and your husband enjoy

      Delete
  2. I have never made veggie sausages or any faux meat products from scratch. Your kimchi version here is very impressive and sounds more interesting than store bought options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari. I do enjoy playing with vital wheat gluten and am hoping to make some other variations, but my all time fave has to be the chorizo ones as they are proper spicy and yes, so much better than the store bought ones, that often lack oomf!

      Delete
  3. I always admire those who make their own things like this. The texture looks pretty amazing. I have never really tried making my own faux meat (I'm with you - not a huge fan), I made a seitan roast once, it was quite good. I bet these would be delicious!
    Thanks so much for sharing at Healthy Vegan Fridays! I'm pinning & sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy, Im creative with my cooking, but not arty in any other field. So I do envy those who make their own things too :) I am always hesitant when eating seitan, but i do like experimenting so will continue whether or not i enjoy eating it myself - i think its just so fascinating.

      Delete
  4. I don't know why but I've always thought making seitan was such hard work... you've made it sound completely doable! I'm sometimes iffy about the texture too, but I like to have a few faux meat options around for quick meals and lazy dinners. These sound absolutely delicious, I think it's the kimchi that sells it to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa, it does take a little practice and confidence, but def. doable! i alwys doubt the texture when i eat it, did i steam/cook it enough, but its always turned out edible. I am hoping to make more with other flavour enhancers, the kimchi made a change - but i think it was a one off for me, as my husband is not that keen on kimchi.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You