Tuesday, 27 December 2016

Cranberry and Pecan Torte

We always have fresh cranberries this time of year, but not for too long.  Like Pumpkins during the Autumnal Season, they disappear from the supermarket shelves as soon as Halloween has passed; and this is the same with cranberries.  Cranberries vanish once and for all as soon as Christmas and the festive season has come and gone. 

I try to make the most of fresh cranberries while in season.  Around the festive holidays, I often make Nigella Lawsons Cranberry, Orange and Almond pudding for Christmas.  Its become a firm favourite in our home, however this time we actually had a traditional Christmas Pudding.  I think it came in a hamper last year or even the year before, but I can't remember for sure.  So we tucked into the steamed Christmas Pudding late Christmas evening and this Cranberry and Pecan Torte was made early this afternoon.
The recipe comes from Entertaining Vegetarians by Celia Brooks.  I have made this Cranberry Pecan Torte before, a long time ago.  In fact it was in 2004 on Christmas day. This made me smile to myself and the fact that I was making it again, over a decade later.  I know this, as I had scribbled in pencil how delicious the recipe was with a note to make again...Gosh I am getting old.
This morning was our fourth day not leaving the house (except to go in the garden to empty the kitchen scraps into compost bin and refill the bird feeders - its been a busy garden with the bird life).  I spent the day in the kitchen trying to get creative and use up some of the excess fruit and vegetables I picked up last week for  the festive holidays.  Also, we both go back to work tomorrow, so I cooked a couple of dishes in advance that could easily be reheated when we get in late.  This Cranberry and Pecan Torte though, was more out of greed than necessity. 

The making of this Cranberry and Pecan Torte was a joint effort.  D cracked the pecan shells for me, gosh he made such a mess with the shells flying here, there and everywhere.  He's a much better housekeeper than me, as soon as he finished shelling the pecan nuts, out came the hoover and the mess was cleared away.  He is also my dishwasher!  
This Cranberry and Pecan Torte is very, very sweet and sharp which D loved.  Its sticky and chewy too.  I loved how the fresh cranberries burst bleeding into the batter. 



I made one small change, I only had 300g cranberries, the recipe specifies 500g, but I don't think it matters much as you still get that tangy, zingy and zappy hit. 
You can find the recipe here in cup measurements and here by in gram measurements. Follow here to check out Celia Brooks website.   Happy Holidays!

10 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful - we have been out a few days and are now back to leftovers which is a nice thing as I am not quite recovered my cooking energy after christmas eve! I wish I had somewhere I could take this torte though as I know I would love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, I hope you find an excuse in not too long, its quite yummmy. If you so make it, make sure you grease the base well. I forgot this time round, still it was delicious.

      Delete
  2. ...that looks yummy...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious Shaheen, and so perfect for Christmas.

    Happy festive period and New Year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful looking Torte Shaheen. So pretty and quite perfect for the season!
    I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and all the best for 2017. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kate.
      Best for 2017 to you too xxx

      Delete
  5. What a great looking torte! Such a creative use of cranberries. My cranberry making experience just tends to be the sauce for holiday meals. I should try and branch out.
    "D cracked the pecan shells for me, gosh he made such a mess with the shells flying here, there and everywhere."
    Haha. Sounds like how Terry would be. At least D cleans up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimmy, don't diss cranberry sauce, made with real cranberries from scratch its awesome, unlike the one that we get which is often from jar and pulped to a puree. And my D is wonderful, he is so much a better housekeeper than me, there are things as domestic gods too. Keep trying to train your Terry, hopefully in time he will get better.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You