Monday, 12 December 2016

vegan Snake Beans Savoury Cake

Although I am sharing this recipe, I have to admit from the outset it was not one of my favourites. 

I made this Snake Bean Savoury Cake early last month when I picked up some fresh Snake Beans also known as Yard Long Beans from the Bangladeshi grocers.  I had been advised to make a Bangladeshi curry with it, but the adventurous home cook in me wanted to experiment with it.  



The snake beans sound amazing and interesting, but to be truthful I found them pretty tasteless.  I think it may be better in a Bangladeshi curry with spices, or even Janet's from the Taste Spaces Szechuan Chinese Long Green Beans and Red Pepper would have been more appealing, but I was disappointed in this - still at least now I can say I tried Snake Beans.   
I also found this Savoury Cake a bit dense.  I think it would be better sliced and served as part of a buffet - finger food with lots of other things, but on its own it just too much.  
Vegan Snake Beans Cake
Makes 2 x 8 inch round cake tins
Ingredients
Cooking oil for coating the tin
380g/ 21/2 cups besan/Chickpea flour
600ml/3 cups cold water
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 - 11/2 tablespoons curry powder 
1 teaspoon dried coriander or fresh equivalent
1 yellow or red pepper, cored and chopped into small cubes
Optional: Handful of garden peas, cooked, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Coat the cake tins with oil and set aside.  
In a large bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, water, oil and salt.  
Whisk well ensuring that there are no lumps in the batter.  
Then stir in all the vegetables, herb, spices and seasoning and stir well to combine.  
Using a ladle, evenly pour out the thick vegetable batter mixture between the two tins.  
Put onto a baking sheet and transfer to a preheated oven gas mark 4/180oc for 25 - 30 minutes or until firm to the touch.  
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 - 30 minutes, before removing from the tin and serving in slices.   Adapted from this recipe.

2 comments:

  1. The cake looks great and while it might not be your favourite, I am sure it is a good learning experience that may lead to more successful recipes in the future! Though it sounds like you might be using vegies other than snake beans :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, yes visually it looks good and indeed with a little more experimenting it may improve, but i will not be making it any time soon.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You