Monday, 19 December 2016

Vegan Chestnut Mushroom Christmas Pull Apart Wreath

I've had a busy weekend, time spent finishing off wrapping the last of the Christmas presents and some planning ahead cooking, one of which is a very time consuming Chestnut Mushroom Wellington.

The Chestnut Mushroom filling was so vast that I made a number of small Mushroom Wellington loafs and put them in the freezer, but I still had plenty of Chestnut Mushroom filling to experiment with.  
At one point, I had thought to make a Pull Apart Christmas Tree, I made one with veggie mincemeat early this year, but then decided on a Pull Apart Wreath. 

My homemade edible wreath is not perfectly round, but I am one of those people that that hates waste, so its kind of square, but I think that is what makes it a little more visually interesting.  However, I am still hoping to make a round wreath again in the future, perhaps with a pizza filling.  
The recipe is slightly adapted from the brilliant Nadine Abensur's Mushroom Wellington filling from The Cranks Bible.  The slight adaptation I make are with the nuts, sometimes I use mixed nuts or just what I have and I often use dried tarragon in place of fresh.  I know Nadine  Abesur would be good to share the recipe, but here's the link that will also take you to her website.  To see step by step instructions for the Pull Apart Wreath, I followed this photograph. 

I have been enjoying participating in Food 'N' Flix, so I am joining in this month again.  The movie chosen this month is Kampus.  I watched it last year.  I originally wanted to make the wicked gingerbread man character in the movie, but with time running out I changed my mind.  Then I spotted the big bowl of Brussels sprouts on the table during the Dinner fight scene, but again I changed my mind making this Christmas Pull Apart Wreath.   My inspiration comes from the opening scene of Krampus you first see a wreath, before the camera slowly scans down to the Black Friday chaotic madness in the supermarket.  I am sharing this Chestnut Mushroom Wreath with Food 'N' Flix hosted by Heather at All Roads Lead To The Kitchen.  
I am also sharing this with  am sharing this post with  Harvest Monday hosted by Dave over Our Happy Acres as the herbs, the bay leaves and rosemary are from my garden, not much else is growing.  Its also an opportunity for me to say Thank you to Dave for hosting and to those who have visited my blog through Harvest Monday - Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year Monday Harvesters!  I hope to participate a bit more regularly come 2017. 

16 comments:

  1. I think the wreath is a great idea! And beautiful to look at as well. I've had pull apart bread before but never filled with anything. Merry Christmas to you and wishing you all the best in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dave. Merry Christmas to you too, i hope you get to try a pull apart bread with a filling next year.

      Delete
  2. Mmm, yummy, chestnut mushroom Wellington sounds right up my street. I've never seen a pull-apart one before, it's a lovely idea and looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou, I have made a stash of chestnut mushroom filled puff pastry goodness for future meals, well worth having in your freezer

      Delete
  3. Your wreath is beautiful! And delicious too I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, it was delicious :)

      Delete
  4. This looks gorgeous - I would love to try more festive bakes with puff pastry but rarely go past sausage rolls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah that is not true Johanna, i have seen you get creative with puff pastry and shortcrust pastry.

      Delete
  5. Your wreath turned out beautifully, I love your out-of-the-box inspiration! That filling really sounds incredible. What did you use for the pastry (a homemade dough or ?). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather. I found lots of inspiration in the movie, just timing ...but I may still join in with another if I have time as I do really want to make gingerbread! Ah I should have said about the pastry, it was shop bought puff pastry, but it could easily be homemade shortcrust too.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! Happy Christmas to you and D!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you e. Happy Christmas to you too x

      Delete
  7. What a great idea to make that pull apart wreath and I'm sure it tasted as wonderful as it looked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very creative! And I keep saying I have to cook more with chestnut, this is an awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Evelyne. I just wish it was a bit prettier, but then I justified it was made for Krampus and some of it looks like the Krampus cloven hoof! So not bad - but it could def. be neater.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You