Tuesday, 6 December 2016

Very Easy Red Cabbage Pesto

A few months ago, I got hold of some purple sweet potato.  I made a Pizza with it, but we were so hungry that evening that I never got round to photographing its bold vivid colour.  I did not want to lose out on sharing the striking bright colour of this easy red purple cabbage pesto.  So I asked D to get a photograph for me while I got on with other things in the kitchen.  
I had half a red cabbage in the fridge, left over from another another dish  that I had made (also not photographed).  I was inspired to make a Red Cabbage Pesto that I saw a long while back in The Guardian and bookmarked.  
Its a relatively simple and easy recipe, only four ingredients: red cabbage, garlic, sunflower seeds and olive oil.   I have to admit the raw garlic was quite pungent to the point it had heat and left that burning sensation in the mouth, not particularly pleasant.  So I sauteed the pesto in a little oil before using it for the required dish, once of which included a Pasta Salad.  However, if your okay with raw garlic, this step is not necessary. 
I am sharing this Very Easy Red Cabbage Pesto with Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary for No Waste Food Challenge; Cook Blog Share co-hosted between Sneaky Veg;  Easy Peasy Foodie and  Hijacked By Twins and with Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition.


Very Easy Red Cabbage Pesto
Makes a large jar full
Ingredients
½ head medium red cabbage, chopped coarsely
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
4 tbsp sunflower seeds, plus extra to serve
Salt
Olive oil
Method
In a food processor, add the cabbage, garlic, sunflower seeds and season to taste.
Blend.
Then stir in enough olive oil to to form to a pesto like consistency.
Transfer to a jar until ready to use.
Keep refridgerated.
Use within the week.
Adapted from The Yellow House

16 comments:

  1. glad you got a pic of this pesto - the colour is indeed stunning - I think I might find the garlic too burny but would love it once it was cooked off a little - and your salad would look gorgeous too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. I will be posting a couple of recipes that I made with it, one of which is a Purple Pizza. Yes, the garlic was def. too burny for me, and i usually have a good tolerance. Not this time though, it needs tempering for sure.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen this before and I too like the shots. D did very well. Thank you for visiting my blog. Jacob is home and we are heading to bed. I'll need to medicate and monitor him for the next two weeks. I really appreciate your interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you e.
      I am quite busy at work and blogging is slowing down, which means I am not visiting my blog reads as often as I once did, but i do try. Good to read that Jacob is back with you.

      Delete
  3. That colour is striking! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chelsey. I am so pleased you agree.

      Delete
  4. Love this use of red cabbage - I've never thought to make pesto with it before. It looks delcious and I love the colour. Thanks for linking up to #CookBlogShare X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mandy. The colour is amazing, the taste is not bad either :)

      Delete
  5. Oooh I love red cabbage and making it into a pesto sounds delicious! I love the colour! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirsty, it made for an interesting change.

      Delete
  6. That sure is an amazing colour! D did a good job with the pics. Love the photo background! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kate. He's being using such backgrounds for a long while.

      Delete
  7. Wowzers! That is gorgeously vibrant! I have made purple pesto before using purple kale, but the cabbage lends an even bolder colour. I also really like the idea of sautéeing it before adding it to salad (I'm a raw garlic wuss haha).
    Thanks so much for sharing this at Healthy Vegan Fridays Shaheen! I'm pinning & sharing.
    I hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy. Ah i must try it with purple kale. I guess we could sub the raw garlic for garlic powder to avoid the raw heat. You have a good week too.

      Delete
  8. Look at the colour of that, it's stunning! As a garlic lover I think this is something I'd really like. I'd love to hear more recipes that you could use it in too! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge, I really appreciate your participation. Wishing you all the best for the New Year! There's big changes coming with the challenge, I think you'll like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elizabeth.
      Happy New Year to you too, look forward to hearing about the changes regarding the challenge

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You