Thursday, 23 July 2009

Fruit flavoured vodkas

Now please don’t get the wrong idea about me, I am not a big alcoholic drinker. Honest! This is the chemistry student in me that wants to experiment with different flavours. I’ve successfully made my first ever batch of non-alcoholic elderflower champagne, and now it is the turn of the fruit vodka.

A few years ago, I went to one of Scotland's first ever Russian restaurants with some friends, and tried for the purpose of research you understand (she says coughing under her breath) a number of flavoured vodkas including pineapple and cranberry. I was so thrilled by the simplicity of this drink, that a week or so later whilst making some homemade jam with supermarket bought raspberries that I decided to make my own raspberry vodka. Needless to say, it was very, very nice.
This year, I have decided to make rhubarb, strawberry and raspberry flavoured vodka’s. My mother would so not approve, but some of my friends will. So it will be something bring out and share when alcohol drinking friends come over. The rhubarb has been sitting stewing for awhile, so we got to taste it this evening with some lemonade.
Now, I didn’t think about how the swelled rhubarb chunks were going to come out of the bottle, oh well.


  1. looks really refreshing with lemonade and what a great way to use up rhubarb. In Germany they crush up boiled liquorice sweets to add to vodka which forms a syrup called black pig. Now that's a fast track to a hangover!

  2. What an interesting idea! it reminds me of when we use to soak watermelon in vodka when i was in my teen years lol.


  3. As it happens, I have some vodka I should really get on and use - they've been sitting in a cupboard neglected for a while. Using it in the way you suggest seems like just the trick!

  4. Hi Nic,
    Thanks. I like the German take on vodka, must try it some time, though as a vegetarian the name is not particularly appealing.

    Vodka in watermelon - student days for sure!

  5. Welcome aforkfulofspaghetti.

    Let us know what fruit you decide to use. Whatever it is I am sure it will be refreshing with some lemonade.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You