Sunday, 9 August 2009

What a loada carrots

I know, I know I just harvested a load of vegetables yesterday, but today was allotment work day and we noticed a lot more that were screaming to be picked.
Here are some carrots, being beautifully demonstrated by my suddenly 'camera shy' nephew.
Some more vegetables including purple broccoli that is sprouting very early. My mother thinks it is perhaps of the nitrogen in the ground, but I am not too sure. Also in this photograph are some finale fennel and an overgrown squash, which i think is golden apple, but I am not sure anymore - I am just beginning to feel a little overwhelmed with my harvest now.
This picture does not look particularly appetizing, but it was part of my allotment lunch today: courgette hummus - enjoyed with pitta bread, fresh tomatoes from the vine, salad leaves and radishes - all straight from the plot!
This is the last of my rhubarb, picked yesterday. Here they are, chopped, ready to be lovingly covered in a little sugar and the crumble mix and cooked in the oven. Cheerio for now.

13 comments:

  1. I am shaking my head in admiration.

    Do you mind posting the courgette hummus, please??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hummus looks lovely, and I am so jealous of all your veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kella.
    Thank you.

    I did the hummus recipe pretty much to taste. But here goes.

    Courgette Hummus Recipe
    1 large can of cooked chickpeas
    4-6 tablespoons of olive oil
    2 cloves of garlic, crushed
    Juice of 1 lemon
    salt and pepper to taste
    (optional) a pinch of cayenne

    All slowly whizzed in a food processor. Then I stirred in 1 medium (grated)courgette, which had already been softened over gentle heat in a tablespoon of olive oil.

    Hope you like!



    Oh Michele,
    If I could, i honestly would share my harvest with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that, another to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mangocheeks, have you ever thought of printing your courgette recipes, a hundred ways with the dreaded courgette.A runaway best seller!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bounty, MC! Love all the recipes: flan, courgette hummus, frittata - that's my kind of eatin'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My pleasure Kella,
    These are the ingredients, but do try andmake it to your taste.



    Thank you so much Peggy,
    What a lovely compliment! Just wait till I tell my mama.



    Hey there Barbara,
    Thank you so much.
    Your kinda food is my kinda eatin' as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, it all looks amazing, and mouthwatering, the carrots, the hoummus, the prospect of rhubarb pie... yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you explain to the new arrival what is an allotment? I'm guessing a community garden filled with great looking vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Greg,

    Welcome to my site.

    I guess the equivalent of an allotment in the States would be CSA projects. An area given over to growing vegetables. People effectively rent these for nominal sums. In size, they are approximately about half the size of a 'baseball diamond'.

    A key period for the 'take off' of allotments was the Second World War, when British people were encouraged to 'dig for victory'.

    Hope this information helps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous harvest - all your veggies look so perfect - in particular the carrots and fennel are huge compared to what we can get. I had better start watering more methinks! You must have fertile soil up there?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi RWYG,
    Hope your doing well.
    Thank you so much for the compliment.
    We have been lucky this year with the carrots, whic are especially big, thanks to Ds handmade carrot box. I would like to say it is the soil, but to be honest, I think it is the hard work, as there are not many worms there.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You