Tuesday, 11 August 2009

Creamy Yellow Fennel

These dainty yellow flower buds are growing on my fennel herb plant and happily attracting insects, as well as adding colour to the garden border.
As you may be aware, I picked about three finale fennel from the plot on Sunday. So I had been thinking what to do with them. In the past, I have read of the numerous ways to braise fennel, but had never actually attempted it. Well today being a not so pleasant day, I was yearning for something warm and comforting, I decided to go for a creamy braised fennel gratin option.
My mother liked the fleshy texture and the aniseed taste of the fennel. I served the braised fennel gratin with some tamari gridded Portobello mushrooms and some plain boiled potatoes, to mop up the juices. In the eating of the fennel, there was something of the globe artichoke about them. What exactly, I can't say - it just was - well you will just have to take my word for it.
Braised fennel gratin
Serves 4 as an accompaniment
Ingredients
3 fennel bulbs, cut into quarters
4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
6 tablespoons of olive oil
300ml vegetable stock made with 1 teaspoon of bouillon powder
100ml double cream
40g cheddar cheese, grated
Method
Put the fennel and garlic in a heavy bottomed frying pan and cover with the olive oil and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce to low and simmer gently for 30 minutes or until the fennel is tender and the liquid reduced by three quarters.
Now turn your grill on high and while it is heating up, stir the cream into the fennel, bring back to the boil and immediately remove from the heat. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and place under the hot grill until just bubbling. Serve at once.
Adapted from Cranks Fast Food

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh, such a perfectly comforting dish! I often find myself at a loss as to what to do with fennel - your dish looks like a fabulous, luscious solution!

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog, and for your lovely comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good. It reminds me of all the fennel we ate in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is an Italian dish. Afterall who else would give the fennel such respect. Italians do!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You