Wednesday, 19 August 2009

Coconut rice and roasted red pepper salad with a ginger dressing

In the past, whenever I saw a rice salad on a cafe menu or as a buffet option, I would quickly, and I mean really quickly walk by. But it was for the first time last year that I truly appreciated the texture, depth and taste of a brown rice salad. Now this is not a brown rice salad, but one made with Basmati rice from lovely Pakistan.

This is my entry for this month's No Croutons Required which is alternately hosted between Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen or Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes, who is this months host. The challenge this month is to make a soup or salad containing peppers. Now as someone who tries to grow some of her own fruit and vegetables, peppers whether red, yellow or green were not amongst them. So I had to make a grocery purchase for this food challenge. The peppers used in this salad are sweet Ramiro pointed peppers grown somewhere in the U.K, but the green beans are all mine. And the ginger dressing also made with some homegrown tomatoes brings the rice salad to another flavour level. This rice salad can be eaten both warm and at room temperature, that is why I will be having it twice in the week. Today for our evening meal and the remainder for lunch tomorrow.
Coconut Basmati rice and roasted red pepper salad with a ginger dressing
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients
275g Basmati rice
1 x 400ml coconut milk
½ teaspoon turmeric
Pinch of salt
2 red peppers, I used sweet Ramino pointed pepper, cut in half and de-seeded
Vegetable oil
100g French beans, topped and tailed
4 spring onions, finely sliced
Ginger salad dressing
About 10g root ginger, finely chopped or grated
60ml Tamari or soy sauce
120ml vegetable oil
2 clove of garlic, crushed
4 medium tomatoes, cut into quarters
Method
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6.
Place the rice in a large saucepan with the coconut mil, turmeric and salt. Top up with enough boiling water to cover the rice by 1 inch. Cover and cook gently for approximately 30 minutes until the liquid has been fully absorbed. Leave to stand for 10 minutes to finish the cooking process, and then allow to cool.
Place the peppers on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes until the skin blackens and blisters. Leave to cool, peel off the skin and slice the flesh into strips.
Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and plunge in the beans. Cook until tender. Drain and set aside.
Place all the dressing ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth
Stir the vegetables into the rice, pour over the dressing and toss to combine. Season to taste and serve warm or cold
Recipe adapted from Food for Thought

6 comments:

  1. This looks really tasty. This reminds me of a coconut rice we had last week with barbecued soy sauce flavoured chicken and veg skewers - great minds must think alike!

    I will definitely look into the ginger dressing as well. This looks like a lovely combination of fresh flavours for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! this looks like a keeper and one I could easily try this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there!

    Just thought I'd drop by to say I am so impressed with all your allotment activities. I grow a few things at home but not sure if I'd have the dedication to plan and tend an allotment, though I love the idea of it. You've got some great recipes too! I'm also a bit sceptical about rice salads but this sounds really nice- I guess the coconut milk adds a bit of richness to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you RWYG,
    I hope your feeling much better now. This was the first time I made a ginger dressing, I was pleasantly surprised, though the taste of it did linger in my mouthfor a while.


    I hope you like it Kella.
    It is one of those recipes you have to make in stages, but once its done, its pretty straight forward. The time consuming part for me is the blistering of the peppers, but it is well worth it for the taste.


    Hello there TheFastestIndian,
    Thank you for visiting my blog and for you kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations on coming second with this recipe :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Nic,
    I was pleased with the result, my last entry of turnip leaves soup got 'nil point', so I've far, in such a short time!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You