Sunday, 2 August 2009

Mama Mango

Later this week, my mother and one of my nephews will be coming up to stay with us for a week. Although it is a bit of a squash in my small flat, I so love it when my mother and nephew(s) come up as it permits me to be a bit more creative with my cooking, they will eat whatever I give them and relish in my experimental vegetarian cooking, as much as I love doing it for them. There will be none of this 'take away' or 'sandwich' nonsense. This pleases me so much as I feel they appreciate what I put on the table for them. This is not to say, they love everything I put on the table, far from it and they will critique it with honesty, yet they will eat it without too much fuss.
The only thing my mother has not enjoyed was polenta, and last year she got fed up with having (our harvest of) potatoes with every meal, and my youngest nephew has such a dislike fresh tomatoes. Oh well, you can't please everyone all the time.

It could be much worse in that they didn’t eat vegetables, but they do. Thank goodness.


  1. Love the look of those potatoes. Sad your nephew doesn't like tomatoes but at least he hasn't plummed the depths of my brother when young: he would only eat beefburgers and ginger cake. He kept this up for two years...

  2. Thanks fran,
    The potatoes are Desiree, dug up a little early, but they do look very good.

    That's funny about your brother. I hope his tastes have changed now.

  3. It sounds like it will be a fun time!

  4. Fun, but a little bit of pressure too, as I still have to work some of the days they are here, but I will try to enjoy it.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You