Thursday, 20 August 2009

Unusual baking ingredients

About a month ago, I read an interesting, if not unusual book review in The Guardian on Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache and was kind of intrigued. It is a baking book with recipes like chocolate and salted caramel squillionaire, orange-blossom cupcakes which has butternut squash in it and Heartache Chocolate cake which contains aubergine, but the vegetables in the cakes play a small role. This book is really about fancy cakes with low calorie counts.

Anyway, you can imagine my excitement when I came across Katies giveaway. Katie is asking two questions, which means two ways of trying to get your mitts on the book. You can either leave a comment telling her of the most unusual ingredient you have, or would like to bake with and how you would use it. Or, tell someone about the give away. I am entering both ways. Hence the entry on my blog to let you all know. The winner will be chosen at random from a generator. So if your tempted to get your hands on a copy of this book like me, check out her blog.

Oh what was my response to the most unusual ingredient? Well I have cooked with what I think are unusual ingredients in baking such as cola, lemon thyme, courgettes, beetroot, avocado, butternut squash and more recently a parsnip and rosemary tart. But last year, my mother gave me some precious gold leaf paper to decorate my wedding cake. However, because of all the ‘pressure that comes with getting married’ I never got to bake or even decorate my own wedding cake, so the gold leaf is still in the kitchen cupboard. I am looking forward to making either an autumnal walnut cake; or a luxurious chocolate cake, both with a touch of bling bling. Hey I am South Asian after all.


  1. Gold leaf! How wonderful. I think anything topped with gold leaf must taste awesome.

  2. I am thinking about using the gold leaf to make a cake to celebrate my first wedding Anniversary, so let's see.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You