Saturday, 29 August 2009

Sugar in a plum…plum plum

Chorus to a song that reminds me of my childhood. Can you guess which one?

A lot of the plums that Fitzy had given me earlier in the week had gone soft and mouldy, so I to dispose of most of them. I had only a handful remaining, so I decided to make a plum cake. It is ultimately a citrus cake with plum topping. Quite a nice way to use up those plums!
Cinnamon Plum Cake
Serves 6 - 8
110g margarine, softened
180g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
190 plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons milk
4 – 5 plums, halved and pitted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4.
Grease and line a 7 inch springform tin. Blend the margarine and all but 1 tablespoon of the sugar together until pale and fluffy. Beat the eggs and slowly whisk into the sugar and butter mixture. Once mixed, sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl along with the lemon zest, juice and milk and fold through. Pour into the prepared tin. Toss the plum halves in the remaining sugar together with the cinnamon, then place gently, cut side down on top of the cake mixture. Cook for about 50 minutes to an 1 hour, until a skewer when inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly before removing form the tine. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
Adapted from Maria Elia’s The Modern Vegetarian


  1. Welcome Gary Jen and Ruby,
    It's so nice to make your acquaintance.
    Also its nice to know that others remember...Brown girl in the ring (Boney M)

  2. I'm at my brother's in Germany and there are zillions of plum trees here. I could make this beautiful cake for weeks, plus chutneys and jams aplenty if this was my garden. As it is the wasps are having the greatest feast

  3. I'm wishing it was my garden too! but not sure I want to be in the company of wasps, the one beastie on wings I avoid.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You