Monday, 31 August 2009

Potato, Rosemary and tomato Bake

Me: This veggie bake looks very 1970s
D. responds: I grew up in the 1970s and I don’t remember ever eating anything like this.
Me: Yeah, but you were not a vegetarian then.
D: Nor were you
Me: Well I still think it looks very 1970s!
Like many vegetable growers, I have a lot of tomatoes to go through and there are only so many you can eat fresh. So I made this Potato, rosemary and tomato bake yesterday, as a way to use up some of them, but also to serve as part of our working week meal ahead. I am so glad I did, it is just what you want when outside it is blustery and raining. Plus I have a stinky cold. All I had to do was reheat it in the oven for half an hour or so and serve a generous slicing with some simply steamed green beans. There’s enough left for another meal later in the week.
Potato, Rosemary and tomato Bake
Serves 6
Ingredients
750g large potatoes, finely sliced
230g mature cheddar cheese, grated (keep back about 30g for sprinkling on top)
200g white or brown bread
Salt and pepper to taste
2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves stripped from the stalks
800g tomatoes, sliced
400g double cream
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4. boil the potatoes until they are just cooked, and drain. Whizz the bread and rosemary in a food processor until turned into crumbs. Mix the cheese, bread and rosemary crumbs together. Layer the ingredients in a deep 9 by 13inch baking tin. With plenty of seasoning on each layer in the following order:
Potatoes,
Tomatoes
Cheese and breadcrumb mixture
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Cheese and breadcrumb mixture
Pour the cream over the top. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour 15 minutes until the top is golden and most of the cream has been absorbed. Adapted from Bill Sewell’s Food from the Place Below

11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness you have struck again, another one for me to try this week, especially as I plan to harvest some of my spuds that are growing in a container.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know i'll sound like a broken record if I say it again but... how I envy your lovely toms. I had such plans for copious amounts of oven roasted tomatoes drizzled with balsamic vinegar, slurp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You take the most Beautiful pictures of food! You always make me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I love the sound of this. I've just harvested the last of my garden spuds, and I've got a shedload of toms from the allotment. Perfect! Thanks, Mango.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kella,
    You make me smile inside and outside. When I first started putting up the recipes, I thought noone is gonna cook this food, it just ain't pretty enough. But you have truly humbled me. I am always nervous about writing up the recipe, as I know as a reader, someone elses instructions are not always easy to read. So Thank you truly.


    Hi Nic,
    You will never be 'broken record'.

    Something I have always avoided making is tomato soup, but today D has decided he would like some as we have so many tom toms to go through, slurp. Mmm a touch of balsamic vinegar sounds good!


    Thank you Jenn.
    I don't know how I managed to make the 'potaota, rosemary andtomato bake' look good, but it sure don't look bad, does it?!


    Hiya there Fran,
    Do hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I add a link to this interesting recipe in my "index" blog:
    Cook with Rosemary
    http://cookwithherbs.blogspot.com/2009/06/cook-with-rosemary.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Graziana,
    I will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well what can I say, we had this last night aaannndddd...................
    I loved it along with three other members of the family, my mum ate it but I underestimated her dislike for rosemary oops!!

    I made enough to freeze a smaller pie so we'll have this again soon, most likely on a time poor evening where I'm running behind on dinner prep time, poor mum - nah I'm not that horrid I'll do something else for her :)

    Like I said I really liked it the flavour was nothing I would have expected, so thanks again for posting this very tasty recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Kella.

    Soem recipes will be a hit, others a near miss, so I am glad so far, you and most of your family have liked everything you've seen on A2K. It really pleases me and makes me happy to know that others are sharing in my tastes and flavours.

    Although I was Sorry to read that your mother was not a fan of the rosemary, if it makes you feel better, nor is my mother, she likes the softer herbs like coriander and parsley. The only time my mother likes rosemary is as an essential oil for long baths!

    PS You may have noted, I am easing off a little from the tomato recipes, and am now back onto the green/French beans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I think because rosemary, mint and sage is rarely if ever used in West Indian cooking, I think it takes getting used too.

    I have promised her though that the next time I prepare it from scratch the herbs I'll use would be oregano and thyme.

    ReplyDelete
  11. (If you could see my face you would see that I am smiling) It's the same with my mother who is used to the herbs such as coriander which is used a lot in South Asian cooking, the other robust herbs like rosemary and sage had never entered my parents kitchen, so it certainly is a cultural thing, and acquired taste too.

    I like the sound of replacing the rosemary with oregano or thyme. It would definately work.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You