Monday, 10 August 2009

Lettuce Eat Soup

I have taken the day of work today and decided to take my mother and nephew into Glasgow city centre. We weren't there that long, my mother was exhausted just walking Sauchiehall Street. So homeward bound it was. On the way back, my nephew goes 'what we doing to have for lunch Aunty?' I think he was angling for some chips and pizza, but my thinking was different. I remembered we had some green lettuce in the garden plot bolting, so as soon as we got home I decided to make a quick lettuce soup.
My nephew was not enamoured by the idea, to be honest nor was my mother, but as soon as they swallowed a spoonful - they were immediate converts and well impressed that such a humble ingredient was transformed into a tasty dish.
Lettuce soup
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 onion, finely sliced
200g potatoes, peeled and cubed
Outer leaves of 2 – 3 lettuces, washed and shredded
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 pint of vegetable stock made with 1 tablespoon of bouillon powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional 150ml single cream
Method
Melt the butter in a large saucepan, and fry the onion and potatoes gently for 10 minutes, but don’t brown them. Then add the lettuce leaves and stir them for a couple of minutes so that they are covered with the butter. Add the stock and let the soup simmer gently for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked. Liquidize the soup and stir in the cream (if using). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reheat it, but don’t let it boil if you have added cream.

6 comments:

  1. ooohh! I like this one if for nothing else cause I get to use bolted lettuces for something other than the compost heap.

    How bolted was it, just starting or in full flower?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kella,
    The lettuce was just starting to bolt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made lettuce soup as it sounded rather tasteless. Your version look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele,
    I would certainly recommend it. Just use gree lettuce leaves.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You