Thursday, 20 August 2009

Finding ways to eat my climbing green beans

Last time I forewarned you about a week full of courgette recipes, well this time it is climbing green beans, also known as French beans. We have already had pickled green beans, yesterday green beans were in the Rice Salad and today, they are in this Red Thai Curry.

I sometimes make my own Thai Green and Thai Red Curry paste in advance and leave it in the fridge so that I can use it during the working week for quick after work meals, like this one.
I know this Thai Red Bean curry is not traditional, after all what vegetarian Thai meal is traditional?! but I had to try it. D said he was non fussed, it was just okay. He said if the green beans had been cut smaller it could have easily served as a soup. Well, I am glad at least I have tried it. The original recipe adds holy basil towards the end, but I did not have access to any, so left it out entirely, but if you are blessed to have some around, please do add it, as I am sure it adds more flavour and depth to the Thai curry.
Thai Red Bean Curry
Serves 4
1x 400ml tin of good quality coconut milk
3 tablespoons (or more if you like it hot like me) red curry paste
10 Kaffir lime leaves
100g coconut cream
1x 400ml tin of kidney beans, rinsed well
250g French beans, topped and tailed
400ml vegetable stock
First, cook the French beans in a pan of boiling salted water and cook until tender. Drain.
Now gently heat the coconut milk, but do not allow it to boil. Stir in the red curry paste, kaffir lime leaves, coconut cream and kidney beans and vegetable stock and allow it to simmer gently for 30 minutes, then add the drained French beans and heat through for 5 minutes before serving with plain boiled rice.

Adapted from Food For Thought


  1. what a great recipe for beans! Its one thing I never used to buy that often but now that we have so many growing up on the plot I've been looking for things to do with them other than just boiling and smothering in butter, or blanching and stir frying with garlic. Had them in a yellow coconut cod and potato curry this week and they were loooovveely!!

  2. Bring on the runner bean recipes! I am learning to cope with the courgettes which I think are slowing down a little.
    Can the beans be blanched and frozen?

  3. Thanks SharonL.

    Hi Peggy,
    Yes they can be blanched and frozen. I have already frozen a good batch of french beans for winter dinners.

  4. The recipe sounds yummy and the beans look great!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You