Tuesday, 18 August 2009

Blackcurrant almond slices

A simple offering today.
Although I have some blackcurrants in the freezer, so that I can enjoy some sweets bites later in the year, these soft slices were made with the last of my fresh blackcurrants.
These blackcurrant almond slices were quite light and zingy to eat. They were very different from the strawberry almond slices I made earlier which were bursting with juice and loveliness.
Blackcurrant almond slices
150g self-raising flour
150g plain flour
150g caster sugar
125g margarine, chopped
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
180ml milk
1 egg, beaten lightly
100g-150g fresh or frozen blackcurrants
20g flaked almonds
In a food processor, put in the flours, butter and sugar until the mixture is fine. Press 300g of the mixture into the base of the prepared pan. Place the remaining mixture in a medium bowl, stir in the soda, milk and egg. Pour over base, top with blackcurrants, sprinkle with flaked almonds. Bake on Gas mark 5 for about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool, before cutting.

Recipes adapted from The Australian Women's Weekly biscuit and slices mini series


  1. Shame I'm reading this when its already dark out, or I would have gone aand pick some blackberries at the back, to bake now.

    Hey ho maybe over the weekend.

  2. Thanks Kella,

    Mmmm I think they would be great with blackberries too. We are still waiting on them to ripen up here. Look forward to seeing your blackberry slices whenever you make them.

  3. Wow, these look delicious! I love looking at all your recipes and pictures. I hope to find the time to make some of your corgette recipes, we have so many in the garden and I love trying new recipes for them.

  4. Thank you so much HP,
    The photography is shared between my husband and myself. So I will let him know of you kind comments.

    I do hope you try some of the courgette recipes, before they turn into monster courgettes. They are so much nicer when they are small.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You