Monday, 24 August 2009

Two Tone Bean Terrine

I really wanted to love this two tone polka dot terrine, especially as it was inspired by one of my favourite vegetarian cookbooks, but was quite plain tasting. Maybe adding some sun-dried tomato paste would have given it more flavour.
The tomato paste gives the terrine that salmon pink colour. Anyway, this terrine sliced beautifully. It would be good for the buffet table or as a starter to a three course meal.
Did we eat it elegantly at the table with napkins in hand? Of course not, we took some into work and had it for lunch with some cherry tomatoes.

Two Tone French Bean Terrine
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients
230g green beans
230g yellow beans
4 eggs
3 tablespoons of double cream
4 tablespoons of concentrated tomato puree
salt and pepper to taste
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4. Top and tail the beans and cook separately in salted water for about 10 minutes. Drain and allow to cool. Line a 1 lb loaf tin with baking parchment paper and arrange the green beans length ways, then top with the yellow beans.
In a mixing bowl, beat in the eggs, add the double cream and tomato paste and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour over mixture on beans, press down so all submerged. Put loaf tin on a deep tray. Fill tray with water about two inches high and bake in oven for 30 minutes until set.
Allow to cool overnight, before slicing and serving.
Recipe adapted from Catherine Mason's Veg: Simple, stylish and seasonal vegetarian cooking

5 comments:

  1. Hi.Thanks for leaving your comment on my blog (www.walnuttreeallotment.blogspot.com). I've given you a link and named checked you on one of my recent posts. The cooking of your allotment produce always looks imaginative and creative. I look foward to seeing more of your recipes. Grow well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Scott and Welcome.
    I think more people should visit your new blog, The feeling is loverly when you get visitors and people leaving comments, always humbling. So I have added a link to your blog. That courgette and pecan bread does look tasty, but like I said, I would probably make it with some of those 'walnuts' you have growing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your lovely comment Nic of Nip it in the bud, but I deleted it by error. So so sorry, but I read it and it made me smile, I am just sorry some of my readers did not get to smile with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an unusual recipe! Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not one I would recommend to eat, but aesthetically it is impressive.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You