Wednesday, 26 August 2009

Come into my greenhouse

Or should I say, Ds greenhouse. Anyway, I thought it was about time I gave you a quick tour of the greenhouse. I think you will enjoy it.
Looks lush and green
but don’t be deceived by the green, come a little closer and you will see that the green leaves cleverly camouflage the bright red tommy-ta-toes.
Trusses of gardeners delight
ripening ailsa craigs
I think the changing colours beautiful!
San Manzano - a plum variety
Some neckar tomatoes
Some Golden Sunrise
Some gorgeous looking Tigerellas
Little bullets of juice and flavour. We had so many that we gave a load to away to friends and neighbours. I also made a feta tomato tart yesterday to sustain me for my drive to Liverpool. Yes my dear readers, I was in Liverpool last night and most of today. Not for pleasure you understand, but for work. I am back now in the rainy land of WoS (West of Scotland). So what can bring me a little bit of sunshine, ah yes another tomato tart!
Tomato and Feta tart
Ready rolled puff pastry
4 – 6 tomatoes, sliced
100g feta cheese
1 teaspoon of dried mint or 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, minced
Black pepper to taste
Top the puff pastry with the sliced tomatoes, crumble over the feta cheese and sprinkle with mint. Season with pepper. Bake in oven for 20 - 25 minutes until golden.


  1. I love pictures of Tomatos! This green house is spectacular. The Tomato and Feta tart looks amazing! Wonder how it would taste with goats cheese! I love your food pics. You always make me hungry!

  2. Out of the tomatoes you featured I am growing all except 'nectar' plus a few more, how cool is that.

    And you are a star you'll see why when you see the post I'll be writing tomorrow or if I can stay up later tonight.

  3. Wow! I am so envious of your tomato bounty.The tomato and feta tart looks delicious and quick and easy to make.Another one to try,thank you

  4. Oh i so envy you these. We have loads of tomatoes, all relentlessly green, green, green!

  5. What beautiful tomatoes, Mango! I have to admit to having a bit of tomato envy. I love what you did with them - the tomato tart is a winner.

  6. Thank you so much Jenn.
    I think it would be good with goats cheese too.

    Oh Kella what a coincidence.
    And thank you again for the kind mention. I am glad my recipes are sparking interest. It's the kind of food I like to eat, even though its not always photogenic.

    Thanks Peggy
    Its a good, simple and easy dish to make - especially after a long, long day.

    Hello there Elizabeth M,
    Thank you for your lovely comment. I do hope your tomatoes start turning that beautiful red.

    Thank you so much Barbara,
    your comments are always appreciated.

  7. That looks delish- my other half is a huge tomato fan so has been growing several varieties outside. So far I think the rosadas are the favourites! I was going to do a tart with some of them and this has reminded me that feta would be great additional ingredient!

  8. Thanks for the kid friendly tip mangocheeks.

  9. Thank youfor coming back - TheFastestIndian,
    I don't think i'v ehad rosadas, must check them out for next year. Do hope you like the tart.

    Your so welcome. My husband has just asked me to make some more, so I will be doing it in spring roll style this time.

  10. Your tart is just so delicious looking. Love the tomatoes!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You