Friday, 29 May 2009

best ever rhubarb and lemon tart

It has been the hottest day on record this year about 21 Celsius, so the plants at the allotment definitely needed watering inside and outside of the greenhouse. As I left the plot, I also picked about 6 stems of rhubarb. The question when I got home was what to do with it. I've made rhubarb crumble, rhubarb sorbet that has been a star attraction and even rhubarb cheesecake, but now what.
I decided on making this rhubarb and lemon tart. I declare this to be the most delicious rhubarb dessert I have ever had. If you make one rhubarb dessert this year, let this be the one. It is so light to eat as well, the creamy zing of the lemon filling and the soft tang of the rhubarb pairs so well.

This is also my first ever entry to Grow your own which was started by Andrea's Recipes. I think it is a great food blogger event as it also supports the principle behind my blog that celebrates the foods we grow or raise ourselves and the dishes we make using our homegrown products. This month Grow your own No 181 is being hostd by the Daily Tiffin.
Rhubarb and lemon tart
Serves 6
Make a sweet shortcrust pastry to fit a 10 inch round tart tin
Ingredients
500g rhubarb, chopped into 1 inch pieces
100g sugar
100ml water

In a pot, stir the sugar and water together over medium heat till the sugar dissolves, then bring to a light boil. Add the chopped rhubarb and simmer for a few minutes, until the rhubarb starts to cook down, but not mushy.

Drain the liquid and reserve the rhubarb. I don’t like wastage all that flavour in the rhubarb. You could freeze it in ice cube tubs and then top of cordials or white wine for an additional flavour.

Lemon cream filling
2 egg yolks
60g caster sugar
75ml double cream
Finely grated zest of 1 small lemon

Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl with an electric beater for a few minutes until the volume has tripled. Mix in the double cream and lemon zest.

Spread the cooled rhubarb on the base of the tart, cover with lemon cream filling and bake at gas mark 5, middle shelf for 30 – 35 minutes, until the cream filling is just set and lightly browned.

Leave to cool for about an hour before serving

This is based on a recipe from Christopher Lloyds wonderful book Gardener Cook. I have modified it mainly in relation to the quantity of the ingredients.

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely tart! I usually have to force myself to eat rhubarb, but you make it look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come to like rhubarb with time, previously I used to snug my nose at the tartness. This one is truly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will pass this on to dh, who loves a new rhubarb recipe. We have got a lot of it to use up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You