Thursday, 28 May 2009

‘La fěte du pain’.

Whilst we were in Paris, admiring and posing in front of the magnificent architecture of the Notre Dame, we stumbled upon a ‘La fěte du pain’.
Here young Parisian apprentices, some wearing their gold and silver medals around their necks with pride, demonstrated their skills in bread making, from kneading to lovingly rolling the bread dough into thin sticks or coils to create an elegant design before baking. Look at some of these.
I really loved the variety of bread on offer in Paris, the subtle differences in flavour, the texture and presentation. I understand when some people say they would be ‘more than happy to live of bread and cheese’, if bread and cheese was this good here. I would be a content person. But there are barely any decent independent bakers here, those that are you have to make a special journey into the city and how often is that likely to happen, when you have other things going on in your life.
Although I am competent in the art of ‘basic’ bread making, it is something I easily lose patience with. I have to be in the right frame of mind to make bread from scratch, the kneading and all that waiting around for the dough to rise. Because of my impatience to make bread at home and my dislike for supermarket bread, I made a compromise, I got a breadmaker.
I know, I know I am a little cheat, but it works for me and I am more than happy with it. I would happily advocate the purchase of a good breadmaker to those like me who do not always have the time to make their own bread from scratch.


  1. I don't think I could live off bread and cheese, BUT I did got to Paris a few months back and the bread there is AMAZING.

  2. Thank you so much gastroanthropologist for coming by my site.

    If I put my hand on my heart and think about it, I don't think I could live of just cheese and bread either, but it was a nice humbling thought at the time of writing.

  3. I think breadmakers are great. Homemade bread any way is a good thing. Your bread looks lovely.

  4. I do like my breadmaker very much.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You