Monday, 4 May 2009

Rosemary, lemon and parsnip tart

I have been wanting to make and taste parsnip cake for a long, long while. Well why not? We are all familiar with the legendary carrot cake, and the two more recent vegetable cakes, the '(zucchini) courgette and chocolate', and the 'beetroot and chocolate cake'. So why not parsnip cake, after all it has such a natural sweetness?

Also after my herb pot purchase frenzy and the weekend herb blogging event, I think I am still in herb mode, as I decided to add rosemary to this cake. This cake was inspired by a recipe for parsnip and orange cake in The New Cranks Recipe Book, but I decided to exchange the orange for lemon and add a teaspoon of minced rosemary from the garden to it. It turned out to be a culinary success. In fact, I think you could double the quantity of both the rosemary and lemon in this recipe.
I made the sweet pastry according to instructions in the book. It was quite time consuming to make as it incorporated icing sugar and eggs, but the filling was straightforward. However, I did tinker a little with the filling. So here it is if you wish to recreate it at home.

Oh how does it taste? Think white carrot cake on a tart base!
Rosemary, lemon and parsnip tart
Serves 8 to 10
Ingredients pre-baked sweet pastry case or make your own.
125g butter, cut into cubes
1 teaspoon of grated lemon rind
50g golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
3 medium eggs
170g self-raising flour
275g parsnips, peeled and grated
Preheat oven to gas mark 6. Cream butter, lemon rind and sugar with an electric hand held mixer until pale yellow. Add lemon juice and beat in eggs, one at a time. Fold in the flour and grated parsnip. Pour the mixture into the pre-baked pastry case and bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until firm to the touch.

Serve with vanilla ice-cream


  1. I am not a big parsnip person, but this looks lovely. I may have to re-try parsnips.

  2. I understand your sentiments towards parsnips. I am not a big fan of the white sweet root either. I don't particularly like it on my Christmas dinner plate either, but I will give it a chance now and again, and in a cake, well why not. Quite nice too.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You