Wednesday, 20 May 2009

Plat du jour: White asparagus

Last Wednesday we arrived in Paris.

Our 'hotel' was located in 17th Arrondisment also known as Bastignolles near Wagram. We stayed in a street called Rue Poncelet where the nearest metro was Ternes.
After checking in, we were straight out behaving like tourists and putting to use some of our basic french phrases. One of our first stops was to the Basilique du Sacré-Cœur de Montmartre
via place di Clichy when I decided I wanted to try some Parisian street food, to be more specific: a crêpe.
So many flavours to choose from.
After umming and ahhing I decided on banana. I know, all those other flavours and I go for banana. It was delicious! and big enough to share!
The rain came down pretty heavy at one point and we ran for cover. This is when we stumbled upon Lafayette one of the pricey shopping malls in Paris. I suppose it is the equivalent of Harrods in London. I did not spend much time looking in there as I was only sheltering from the heavy rain, but in the short time inside, I gazed over the gourmet food on display. I was really impressed with the decor, especially the stain glass windows on the ceiling, stunning and amazing with the vivid peacock feather colours. Wow! Imagine working under that every day. Beautiful.
On our way back to he hotel, we passed the crêpe stall again, this time I had a chestnut puree crêpe. I needed a bit of cheer as I was wet to the skin. This chestnut crêpe did not taste too good and not so fresh, I think the batter may have been sitting a little while. I also think chestnut is an acquired taste. I don't mind it in soups, but as a sweet, I'm not too sure.
For our evening meal we had a plat du jour which was a simple plate of white asparagus with a parsley vinaigrette for 12 euros. The asparagus was really thick. For me the taste of white asparagus was more flavourful than her greener and thinner sister. It was good to try something different. I read somewhere that in a part of Italy, Turin I think, they grow purple - Violet asparagus. Now that's a novelty.
After our meal, we walked to the Arc de Triomphe which was about 10 minutes walk from our hotel.

1 comment:

  1. How neat that you were able to try some new foods. I love chestnuts pretty much all ways.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You