Tuesday, 5 May 2009

Cauliflower and wholegrain mustard Quiche

Michele at Veggie Num Nums made a cauliflower quiche not too long ago. I had never considered putting cauliflower in a quiche, don’t know why, you see broccoli in quiches all the time. So I just had try making a version, especially as cauliflower is at its best and still in season here.

Then whilst steaming the cauliflower slices, I was reminded why cauliflower was not a vegetable that I was particularly fond of, so I decided to add more flavouring to the quiche, this came in the form of a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard. The photographs below have not captured the seeds, but they are there, honest.

It was surprisingly a nice hearty dish and it sliced beautifully, holding it shape and filling.
The pastry case for this quiche was based on a recipe from Delia's Vegetarian Collection. I used it recently for the Leeks and sour cream flan.

Ingredients and method for Cauliflower and wholegrain mustard Quiche filling
Serves 4 - 6
Pre-baked pastry casing or make your own

1 medium cauliflower, washed and sliced. Steam cauliflower in a pan until just cooked. Drain and allow to cool.

Preheat oven to Gas mark 6.

Lay cool cauliflower over pastry casing, layer over each other if necessary.
In a bowl, beat 3 medium eggs into 100ml milk and 100ml double cream and mix thoroughly. Then add in 1 teaspoon of wholegrain mustard. Stir in 75g grated cheddar cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Pour into the pastry case .

Bake for 30 - 40 minutes on middle shelf until golden.


  1. What a lovely idea - I've never quiched a cauli either, but will now!

  2. Thanks for the compliments fran39 : )

  3. Your quiche looks great and whole-grain mustard is a fantastic idea!

  4. Michele,
    Thanks for inspiring me to make my own cauliflower quiche!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You